PDA

View Full Version : i have a new pair

i have a new pair

Garrett__16
06-04-2002, 07:41 PM
I am considering buying a pair of adult snakes and am wondering if they will breed. One is an albino female and one is a reg. male. If they do breed and have eggs, is it ok to leave the eggs in the aquarium with the snakes?

Kilojara16
06-04-2002, 07:49 PM
Many would say no. I've heard that once the female is done laying in the nesting box in the tank to remove them and put them in an incubator. I'm sure some one with experience could give you a better answer.

kenalotia
06-05-2002, 11:13 AM
If you put the pair together, it is likely that they will breed, but is not absolute.

I don't know too much about this either, but most females are somewhat particular about where they lay their eggs. That's why breeders use nesting boxes, often with damp sphagnum moss in them. (Someone who breeds can tell you more about it.) If none is available, the female will eventually have to lay the eggs anyway, but she'll be happier with a suitable place. And then if you want them to hatch, you'll need some kind of an incubator. Some people make theirs. A Hova-Bator is a relatively inexpensive incubator to buy.

Jimmy C.
06-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey Garrett 16,
If you do keep the adults together they will breed. Not much you can do about nature;) If they do breed, you will need to supply her with a nesting box. some snakes if they cant find a suitable place when they are ready to lay will try to keep the eggs in and may become eggbound.( I have read that in a couple books )
If you dont want to breed them keep them in separt tanks.
Jimmy C.

pinatamonkey
06-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Many people don't use incubators, though. Even Kathy Love said she doesn't use them. If you can find a spot in your house that stays around the low 80s, keep them there. Above the refrigerator works nicely for some.

kenalotia
06-09-2002, 10:20 AM
In addition to the proper temperatures, you will also need a fairly high level of humidity. That's why most people need to use an incubator. I don't know where you live, but it is possible that you could successfully hatch the eggs without an incubator. Good luck! :)