PDA

View Full Version : force feeding problems with a mini

force feeding problems with a mini

cobained
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a little lavender stripe male named Wee who I bought in a package deal about 2 months ago from a member here. He had not eaten yet when he arrived, but on top of that, he was the littlest corn I've ever seen. He weighed in at only 2 grams (my scale only weighs in full grams), and wouldn't eat. I offered f/t day old pinks, pinky heads, and small adult tail sections (about 1/2 inch). I was advised to try force feeding tail sections due to his size, and that went over fairly well, but he didn't seem to be gaining weight on those (fed every 4-5 days). Well, the past 4 feedings I've gotten him to force feed eat day old pinky heads, but he's getting harder and harder to get to eat and still doesn't seem to be growing. Still 2 grams, hasn't shed since I got him. Can anyone offer any additional advice for this little guy? Has anyone had success with snakes his size? I did try offering him a live pinky about a month ago when I was able to get some oddly small ones at a show, but he had no interest, and even that pinky was probably as heavy as Wee is!

Thanks!!

Nanci
11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd buy a scale that weighs in tenths of grams. (I have one, and while it is only useful for a few months of a snake's life, it is nice to see their weight gaining very slowly but steadily). I had a snake sit at 9-10 grams for a couple months, and she was eating normal pinks at a five day interval. Finally she took off and is now 20g. I guess I'd keep feeding him whatever you can get down, and when he is a little bigger, then you have more time to try different tricks. It might not hurt to try lizard scenting. A lav stripe is definitely worth putting some effort into.

Teddy Roosevelt
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll take him if you can't take the stress :3

Joking (mostly) aside, I agree with lizard scenting. That seems to be a good choice for anorexic corns. If that fails, buy a pinkie pump and fill it with the inside of a chicken egg, or just the yolk, depending on what you think he can handle.

danielle
11-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure egg whites and corns are a no no and yolk is used on corns who have gone through many regurges- not ones that aren't feeding well. Keep it up with the heads and small pieces of body parts every 4-5 days. You may get a fecal done to rule out worms, but other than that fed on a small diet he will grow slower so don't freak too much. Give it a few more months and then try with a small pinky whole- if he refuses back to parts:)

cobained
11-17-2009, 11:13 PM
So will very small corns normally willingly eat pinky parts? As in, should I try lizard scenting just a head and see if he'll take it?

And what would you expect one his size to be able to eat? I think the tail sections I was feeding were fairly easy to get in, but probably had very little nutritional value (mostly bone and cartilage), and it seemed like he wouldn't be able to handle more than maybe 3/4" long (but I've never force fed before, and have no real idea).

Teddy Roosevelt
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
So will very small corns normally willingly eat pinky parts? As in, should I try lizard scenting just a head and see if he'll take it?

And what would you expect one his size to be able to eat? I think the tail sections I was feeding were fairly easy to get in, but probably had very little nutritional value (mostly bone and cartilage), and it seemed like he wouldn't be able to handle more than maybe 3/4" long (but I've never force fed before, and have no real idea).
They may not be very nutritious, but the hope is that he won't be living on them forever. Hopefully after a couples months on tales with no problem, you can move up to either a pink head or half a pink. Then after a couple months on that, a whole pink etc.

cobained
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just getting kind of down on it since he *has already* been living off tails for a couple months, and has had heads the last few meals, but he's getting harder and harder to feed. With the tails, as long as I got the tip in his mouth he'd eat it...with the heads, he'll spit it out like 5 or 6 times before he swallows. It's frustrating, and I'm really scared of hurting him during the process. He's so small he's fragile. But I guess I'll just keep at it until he eats, he dies, or I accidently break him.

cobained
12-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Sadly, Wee died over Thanksgiving. I had fed him another pinky head (probably his 5th to date), and at some point during the 4 days we were out of town he regurged and died. It was his first regurge, but with his tiny size I can see how that would take everything he had. Or possibly there was something wrong with him from the get go, and that's why he never gained any weight. He just seemed to be in good health and his passing was unexpected. I'm pretty upset about it, since out of all the babies, he's the one I had to fight for and got most attached to. RIP Wee.

Nanci
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry he didn't make it.

Buzzard
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Sorry to here, may the lessons Wee taught you go into saving another "Wee" snake some day......Condolences