PDA

View Full Version : Blue with No Shed ?

Blue with No Shed ?

CSmiami
11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok so my corn has been going blue for about the last week and a half. So i got to pick her up yesterday and notice his eyes were clear and the rest of him really never changed... I checked all over his Viv and found nothing at all ?!

Should i be concerned ?

airenlow
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Nope! They clear up for as long as a week before shedding. No worries...

CSmiami
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Ok just so i understand .... The snakes turns blue in color then turns back to his regular color just to shed a week or so later ?

If this is right why does this happen ?

Also will the snakes color change ?

airenlow
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
After they clear up, it could be anywhere from 1 day to a week until they shed. Sorry, I wasn't too clear about that. From what I understand, going "blue" is the result of an enzyme that is secreted between the old and new layers of skin. This secretion separates the 2 layers, making the shedding process possible. I would assume the time between clearing up and shedding is just to give the skin a chance to separate and stretch a little. Depending on the morph, most snakes will be visibly brighter after a shed.

CSmiami
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Great !

I get it 100% now.

Thank You very much !

BTW they are Miami (mom was miami father was a butter)

airenlow
11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Glad I could help!

kloe2008
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
From what I understand, going "blue" is the result of an enzyme that is secreted between the old and new layers of skin. This secretion separates the 2 layers, making the shedding process possible. I would assume the time between clearing up and shedding is just to give the skin a chance to separate and stretch a little. Depending on the morph, most snakes will be visibly brighter after a shed.

That was really interesting.
=] Thanks

DarkSmoke
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
first the layer of skin/scales seperates from the epidermis , then enzymes are then secreted in the layer between the skin/scales layer and the epidermis. the enzyme wil start digesting the skin/scales layer and a new skin/scales layer is being formed underneath the enzyme. when the new skin/scales layer is formed and the old skins/scales layer is thin , its then sheded away. a more detailed explanation of what happens in shedding.

kloe2008
11-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Thats really cool, it's so helpful to know a bit about these processes in detail, besides being really interesting, thanks!!!