• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long should I thaw a frozen mouse?

Until fully thawed and slightly warm (although some snakes prefer rather hot mooses...just a matter of finding out how Sid prefers his). :) Just give the mouse a little squeeze, you'll be able to tell if it is still frozen in the middle.

I thaw mine in hot water until it cools, and then I put it in hot HOT tap water again. My snakes like thier mooses warm and squishy!

Eat up, Sid!!!

You can either but it down your bra until it saids...Oh momma.
or in a warm cup of water til it's warm and squishie (sp)

I put all mine is super hot water and let sit for about 1-2 minutes until squishy and warm.

Yay for first feedings! :}

If you're looking more for an actual set amount of time I have a rough routine that I like to follow. I normally put the mouse in some warm water for 25 minutes, replace the water and put it back in for another 20 minutes, and then replace the water again and put back in for another 15 minutes. This is longer than what is necessary but I feel that it insures that the mouse is thawed and makes it nice and warm for your snake. Good luck with your first feeding!

Seems we all have different methods. I opt for the procedure on the box of frozen mice I get from Petsmart. I take a coffee cup, fill it to about 3/4 with water, and microwave the water for about a minute and fifteen or so. I keep the frozen mouse in the little packet it came in and put it into the microwaved water. I usually weight it down with my feeding tongs so it stays fully submerged. 10 minutes for a pinkie, 13 minutes for a fuzzy, 15-20 min for hoppers/small adult, and 30 min for large adult. I've never had a problem using this procedure. For the larger mice, a larger container would obviously be needed and I'd have a second one hot and ready to change over at about the halfway point for the 30 minute thaws. But that's just me.

We all do have different methods. I don't have a set time, but I put a pink (or fuzz or hopper...whatever I happen to be thawing) in a glass and let hot water RUN in the glass until the pink is squishy and about as hot as the water. It takes about two or three minutes, usually. Watch to make sure your pink doesn't come out of the glass if you try it this way, though.

I put mine in a bowl of hot water and let more hot water run into it. Then I leave and read cs.com for a while. Then I go back, squish the mouse around to make sure it is completely thawed. Then I run it under very hot water for 30 seconds or so, then dry with paper towels. I want it smokin' hot!! You're doing adult mice, right? I'd say roughly ten minutes???

I put mine in a bowl of hot water and let more hot water run into it. Then I leave and read cs.com for a while. Then I go back, squish the mouse around to make sure it is completely thawed. Then I run it under very hot water for 30 seconds or so, then dry with paper towels. I want it smokin' hot!! You're doing adult mice, right? I'd say roughly ten minutes???

Yes, adult mice. I assume we thawed it long enough. He was lazy at constriction. Maybe 5 seconds before he downed it. He then soaked a bit in his water bowl and now seems pretty snake happy!

Back