PDA

View Full Version : Magnets to secure lid on Sterilite?

Magnets to secure lid on Sterilite?

bkelm18
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Has anyone ever used magnets (strong ones) to keep the lid secure on a Sterilite/Rubbermade viv instead of binder clips (or whatever else)? I kind of had an "Aha!" moment while driving to work and wondered if anyone had any experience with this?

Roy Munson
12-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Nope. I wouldn't even risk it. A snake can exert considerable, gradual pressure. If the magnet provides GREATER holding power than the standard clip, and it's properly applied each time, then maybe...

desertanimal
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
There are some magnets that probably deliver more holding power than a binder clip, but they're a heck of a lot more expensive than binder clips.

bkelm18
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I was speaking of rare earth/neodymium magnets. A magnet the size of a pencil eraser could easily support 10-15 lbs. You can get them for about .50 cents a piece. I was just curious if anyone had tried it. I'm certain the snake would not be able to lift the lid if they are properly applied, just curious to see if any other issues arose from it.

desertanimal
12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Where do you get them for 50 cents a piece?

http://www.emovendo.net/view_all.php?cat=251

This is where I've been looking and the things that I'd consider pencil-eraser sized don't pull 10lb.

desertanimal
12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, the 3/8 x 3/8 do, and I suppose you could consider that pencil-eraser sized. But I can't find them for 50 cents that I know of. And you'd need to use a minimum of 8--2 at each corner. So that's still a good bit more than 4 binder clips.

bkelm18
12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Where do you get them for 50 cents a piece?

http://www.emovendo.net/view_all.php?cat=251

This is where I've been looking and the things that I'd consider pencil-eraser sized don't pull 10lb.

Well, the 3/8 x 3/8 do, and I suppose you could consider that pencil-eraser sized. But I can't find them for 50 cents that I know of. And you'd need to use a minimum of 8--2 at each corner. So that's still a good bit more than 4 binder clips.

Bear in mind that the page you linked to, you are buying a pack of magnets, not just single magnets. Here is where I get mine: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/. I know binder clips are cheap, but price really isn't an issue. I'm going to try it and see how well it works.

wstphal
12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I have a suggestion, not based on snake knowledge (as I have little of that). Put together the setup with the magnets & put a snake in it INSIDE a bigger viv that is secured with clips etc. Leave overnight (at least). If the snake doesn't find its way out of the Sterilite secured with magnets during the night, that is at least a test that it might work. I would probably leave the magnet setup inside the bigger viv for a week or so. I am really nervous about possible escapes!

hezikiawilson
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I am wondering how this worked out. Did you try it? I work with rare earth/neodymium magnets on a daily basis at work we have 1/2 x 3/8 cylinders that we use on a few of our products and they are very strong! so could you post a followup with some pic's if you tried it and let us know how it has worked so far. I think it is a great idea just because it would be nice and neat.

wade
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
You may not be aware of this but all magnets including the rare earth/neodymium magnets emit lines of flux emanating through the north pole and back to the south pole of the magnet. A German named Heinrich Lenz is the author of Lenz’s Law of magnetic induction. It states that that an electrical current is induced when a conductor is passed through magnetic flux. Since the cells of our bodies, and snakes bodies, contain mostly saline water which is a conductor, it is entirely conceivable that a snake moving past one of these super magnets could be electrocuted.

desertanimal
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
LOL. It's true what you say, but I just got a bracelet made of 30 of the small ones for Xmas and so far I haven't been electrocuted, so I think on that count it'll be ok.