PDA

View Full Version : Feeding in Blue

Feeding in Blue

spud
12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Is it okay to feed corns while they are in blue? My corn is starting to cloud up in the eyes and is getting duller on her skin. I am supposed to feed her either tomorrow or monday but am unsure if i should feed her while she is in blue. What do you guys normally do if your snakes in blue on feeding day?

ceduke
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
There are different opinions on this, so you'll probably get a variety of answers. I try to avoid feeding when my snakes are in blue, but I can't tell when my snow is blue...so he has eaten and then shed a day or two later, and he's been fine.

AshleyShadows
12-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I know a lot of people do, but I personally don't. Mine just refuse eating, and I just consider that a waste of a mouse. The only one I have that will eat in blue (I guess) is my blizzard since he's like the world's best eater. Lol we just have the same issue as Ceduke here as you just can hardly tell when white snakes are shedding.

So I suppose it should be a personal choice with you. You can certainly try it to see if it works. But just know that they can definitely go a little while without food, and it won't hurt to wait until the shedding process is over.

MalinoisK9
12-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Most of ours will eat in blue just as voraciously as if they weren't but we have had a few refusals here and there. In those cases we just wait for the shed and then start a new feeding schedule from there.

spud
12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I will try her with a mouse then and see what her reaction is. If she refuses i will wait till she has shed before i feed her again

jesserca
12-12-2009, 11:23 AM
If my snake has just become blue then I will feed. However if they were blue and cleared up I will not feed until they shed. I learned that the hard way with my first regurge.

Carinata
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I will feed in blue for some snakes that I know will take the mouse/rat. For instance my Anery gal never eats in shed, but my Granite will eat during shed. Hope this helps!
~David

wendhend
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I have found that snakes in the blue often refuse to eat and sometimes regurgitate if they do actually eat, so I don't even attempt it anymore. Why risk it?

JeniDB
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Both of mine have regurged during blue because of feeding. Therefore, I no longer feed during blue.

spud
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Why is it that they regurge during blue?

JeniDB
12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know.. I'm no expert, but I'm gonna go with "every snake is different" as an answer to that. Because from what I've gathered - some peoples snakes regurge, some don't.. I guess I don't have a productive answer lol

medusacoils
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I bet it has to do with activity. If you think about it, a snake will normally settle after eating, but when they are in the blue or about to shed, they become very active in an attempt to shed the skin.

I'm not sure of exactly why it happens, but I do know that my only regurge in the last year (Over 50 snakeys) was a snake I fed in the blue, that I didn't know was in the blue.

It's not worth the risk to me. Not to mention that it doesn't hurt the snake in any way to skip a meal.

Good Luck,

Wayne

requin
12-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm paranoid about feeding in blue because of the regurge risk, so I've never done it. I figure he might be grumpy or lose a bit of weight after missing a meal or two but I would much rather skip a feeding than have to worry about a regurge.

isaac124
12-22-2009, 03:29 AM
dont forget make snakes can go on hunger strikes.. in early spring usually?

isaac124
12-22-2009, 03:32 AM
male* not make... why is there no edit option in this forum that i can see?

medusacoils
12-22-2009, 08:13 AM
male* not make... why is there no edit option in this forum that i can see?

You can get this option by becoming a contributor (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/payments.php). ;)

Wayne