PDA

View Full Version : Little Okeetee

Little Okeetee

CarlieLynn
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Not sure whats wrong with her, shes getting miscoloured scales and her head is peeling. Any suggestions?

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/taiwan103-1.jpg?t=1260750587

The colouration of the scales gose pailish right before the one kink in her body, its all kindof hard to see, but they feel rough there as well. Theres not as much skin peeling on her head as yesterday.

jlindp
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Looks like she's possibly shedding or starting the process. Has she shed for you yet? I'm not a expert when it comes to kinked snakes, so I don't know if that'll have any reason behind it. The head peeling is usually where the shed starts.

CarlieLynn
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
I know in the pic it looks that way but really there is only like a 1cm by .5 centimeter area where the scales are rough and miscoloured. There is aspen mites in her tank (well I treated it yesterday and found none today), but I didnt think they did damage. I always panic like this when i see something wrong with them. I just dont kow what it could be.

danielle
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks like she needs a good soak in cool/warm water around 80-84 degrees with a washcloth in their to climb through. Keep the water shallow and make sure she has holes in whatever you put her in for ventilation- small holes though. Leave her in there for an hour and keep an eye on her. Then take her out and let her climb through the washcloth with you holding her firmly. It's dry in Canada I hear so maybe she's having a little trouble shedding:)

CarlieLynn
12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
She shouldnt... Ive never had a problem shedder and this girl knocks over her water dish ever 5 minuets, its always moist in her cage, plus i have a humidifier in here.

danielle
12-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Well corns and too much moisture = bacterial and fungal skin infections. From the pics though she looks to be in shed. When is the last time she shed? If it was around a month ago I would bet she's in shed again and needs some help.

CarlieLynn
12-13-2009, 08:01 PM
It was probably over a month ago, my reverse shed yesterday, my creamsicle is probably going to shed tonight, since I got her she has never shed, but I hold her every day (except after feeding), and she never showed signs of blue. She isnt growing so I never thought much of her lack of shedding.

I try to keep her water from spilling, i had it taped for a while but i knew it was bad so i removed it, when i came home today her bowl was in the middle of the tank under her papertowel, and its not on herbelly its on her back/side. I hope its just the shedding issue, though i was told she sheds fine.

Asbit
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
As for her knocking her water bowl over, she may be trying to soak in it, and it may be to light to handle her in it or climbing on it. Try getting something that is heavier, that she can not knock over and that she can fit in as well. As Danielle said to much moisture is bad and can cause skin problems.

Looking at the picture you posted, her belly scales look to be somewhat translucent looking. If they usually look dark, then this is definitely a sign she is in pre shed.

There are 4 basic stages to the shedding process
1) Pre shed - we can not always tell a snake is in it but some signs are the translucent belly scales, hiding more, grumpier, rough feeling skin, eye color slightly off, skin color slightly dull
2) Blue - this is when the eyes get cloudy or "blue" due to the secretions which loosen the eye caps and skin, the skin also takes on a light or discolored look. Your snake may be really grumpy or nervous during this time as they can not see very well during this phase
3) Clear up - this is the stage right before they actually shed, the eyes and skin clear back up to how they would normally look
4) Shed - this is when they actually shed the old skin off to reveal the new and improved look

This process varies for each snake, generally small ones like yours are done the entire process in a bout a week but some take longer. I have one small one who takes a week and a half, one adult who takes about 10 days and a yearling who takes closer to 15 days, if varies with each snake.

Hope this helps.

bkelm18
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
She could be shedding (or trying to) in response to the mites. I know mine shed when he got mites (snake mites). It was a bad shed from dehydration and I had to help him out. But definitely get a more sturdy water bowl. That's a must.

CarlieLynn
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Okay, well I have given her a better water bowl and put in a moist hide for her, but she refuses to go in it. I even placed her in it and she went right out, do i have to force her to stay in it?

Asbit
12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Nah...if they need it they will use it.

CarlieLynn
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok, thank you very much, she just went into blue 2 or 3 days ago, so she should shed soon