PDA

View Full Version : Home made snake shelves!

Home made snake shelves!

Arpolis
12-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I wanted to share this project with the lot of you because I am very proud of it and I hope this will inspire others to get out there and use your own two hands to make this world a better place for our snakes! :grin01: The pics are as follows. 1st one is the base materials. 2nd one is my nephew and I working hard on the project. 3rd is an un-finished full set with retractable shelves shown. 4th shows the finished product. Finally the fifth one is the shelves in use.

RobbiesCornField
12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
That looks great! I just might have to break out the toolbox!

Did you know you could save a lot of space if you used Under Tank Heaters (UTH) instead of those lights? It would also be a lot easier to keep your tanks humidity up!

Arpolis
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Yea I will probably switch to the UTH heaters in the futer but I already had a buch of the lamps and such from other endevors and hand me downs so that is where they come in. Within a year I will add two more shelves and go to a similar vive as you can see on the bottom. That one uses a 50 gal UTH heater with a thermostat adjustment.

Outcast
12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
that is really pretty work there, what are the dimensions? i need to make something similar for my snakes, since i will be transfering bandit to another tank soon and am moving all my guppies/ goldfish into the turtle tank, since i just use them for feeders anyway....

Arpolis
12-16-2009, 12:43 AM
72" Tall 42.5" Wide 18" Deep. As you can see that can hold the two 10 gal tanks per shelf. Or it fits a standard 20 gal tank or my preference the 15 gal sterilite plastic under the bed style tote that you see at the bottom of the last pic.

Outcast
12-16-2009, 01:00 AM
thanks for the info. makes me want to get started on one right away...lol

Aislin
12-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Very nice!

*Ooooooh huuuuubby... just ONE more project*

Floof
12-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Oh boy. It's a good thing my dad's best friend loves us. He's going to be BUSY for the next few months!!! After all, the living room needs a few nice display tanks.. ;)

Do my eyes deceive me, or do the shelves slide out? That is so cool! What did you use to do that, exactly?

ssssinful-1
12-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Nice work. Been looking for ideas how to integrate my living space with my snakes. I love how they are displayed... afterall, what fun is all this if they can't be seen and enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!

Arpolis
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes the shelves do slide out a good 8 inches. In the 2nd and 3rd picture you can see the basics how that was put together. I have the two horizontal 1"X4"s connected by 1/2"X2"s and on the small bits of wood I positioned replacement sliding door wheels purchased at Lowes. The main shelf sits on those and then I placed some 1"X2"s over shelves to keep them in place. I put a lip on the front with a 1"X2" board to keep the shelf moving back and just put a couple of Stop blocks nailed to the bottom of the shelf that catches so that the shelve foes not slide to far forward.