PDA

View Full Version : When to go from pinky to fuzzy?

When to go from pinky to fuzzy?

JakeMiller13
12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I've had my corn for 2 weeks and have fed him just pinky mice so far. I read you can upgrade to the next size if the bulge is not visible ~24 hours after eating, which is definitely the case (he was hatched June 5). I am currently thawing a fuzzy mouse, which i haven't actually seen, but felt in the package and it felt rather large for my guy. I have faith in my boy, I just wanted to see about how long it took to go from pinky to fuzzy. Thanks

Suzy
12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
It really depends on the size of the snake rather than a certain length of time. And usually you want to go from single pinks to double pinks, then you can go to fuzzies.
I would recommend checking out The Munson Plan (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106). You can use that as a guide to follow so you know when to step up to the next size. :)

JakeMiller13
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Ah, thanks. I didn't realize a fuzzy was larger than 2 pinkies. I did just take the fuzzy out of the package and there was no way he was going to be able to down it.

Nanci
12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
If you have any doubt, don't feed!! It's a difficult process to undo the damage after a snake regurges a too-large meal.

raynefyre
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Listen to Nanci! She gives super awesome advice. :) The damage a regurge does to a snake takes months to repair, so if you can avoid it at all costs please do so. A jump from a pinky to a fuzzy is really huge, maybe try a peach fuzzy first. My snakes went from pinkies to peachies no problem. I got a bag from RodentPro at my local reptile show that had sizes from 2-6 grams in it so I have been set for quite a while.

I highly recommend getting a scale that weights in grams. I got mine from Walmart for 19 bucks and it has made feeding so much easier. Weigh your food and snake to see where you stand on the chart and follow accordingly.

Nanci
12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
http://tinyurl.com/yedbrgx

I got this little scale right around Daytona. At first I thought it was "too small." But I actually really like it and use it all the time. It's great for weighing baby snakes for one thing. Instead of seeing 16, 16, 16, 16, 16 every five days, I see 16.0, 16.2, 16.5, 16.7, 16.9. I know the snake is growing. Then I also like to use it when I am moving a snake up a size in prey. I'll go through 10 or 15, say, hoppers to find the very smallest one. You can even accurately weigh pinks! The largest snake I am weighing in it right now is about 90 grams, and I have to totally stuff him into one of those tall deli-cups, so it isn't useful for the life of the snake, but there will always be more babies!!

raynefyre
12-17-2009, 03:20 PM
The largest snake I am weighing in it right now is about 90 grams, and I have to totally stuff him into one of those tall deli-cups.

Haha! This made a really funny image in my mind of you ramming a snake into an itty bitty cup. :roflmao:

raynefyre
12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
This Would Work Nice For You, Good Price Too (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10098024&findingMethod=rr)

Looks similar to mine, but mine didn't come with the bowl though.