• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

mouse bites...

isaac124

came home today to find out my brother's decided to feed my corn live food :eek::nope::angry01:
anyways.. they said the snake missed and only got a foot, so they had to help kill the mouse. before they could do that, my snake suffered a couple small bites.
they look more like superficial abrasions to me but i don't really know for sure..
my questions:
will the snake regurge his meal in order to heal the wounds?

should i take my snake out asap and apply neosporin? or should i wait 24 hours for him to digest the meal a bit in order to reduce the risk of regurgitation. i know that corns often regurge if they are handled right after a meal... (ps i'm keeping my snake off of his usual bed of wood chips..)

is scarring likely?

i didn't even want to feed him yet because he just got out of blue, and is not yet shedded. so, how will these wounds effect his shedding?

Where was he bitten? I would give him 24 hours to see if he keeps his food down, then rub neosporin. After 48 hours, I'd schedule a visit with a vet if possible to see if further care is needed. Snakes usually automatically go into shed if they are injured, anyways, as this is how they "scab over" and heal. He may be scarred for life, depending on the intensity of the wounds, but with time and care they may become less noticeable.

You seem like a very concerned, good snake keeper, judging by your immediate grasping of "live=not good" and your obvious worry over your snake's health, and I hope this turns out ok for you.

so he might shed again right after this shedding?

he was bitten 4 inches from head, and once right around the middle.

the neck obviously the one to be concerned about

i'm still glad my brothers at least had the sense to jump in and take control of the situation before more damage was done...

He may shed repeatedly on a faster schedule than usual until he's healed, yes. The bite on the middle could be a concern, too, depending on which part of the body it is and how deep. Can you provide any well-lit pictures?

I have a couple of corn snakes that feed on live only. Rarely do they get nipped, but it has happened. I usually just apply a dab of polysporin on the wound and leave the snake be to digest its meal. I do check on it from time to time to make sure there isn't any sign of distress. Post pics though, it's easier to tell the severity of the bite.

I think I'd still let him settle 48 hours before you start inspecting him and dabbing antibiotics on him, if you do. A regurge is worse than a superficial bite.

but i put antibiotic ointment on the bites, he really doesn't seem bothered by them in any way which is reasurring...

Back