PDA

View Full Version : EWWW mites!

EWWW mites!

Nova1923
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
so i got my baby snow corn snake the beginning of last week and she has been doing very well
she even shed last night/ early this morning.
beautiful shed. her colors are amazing!
but anyways
i looked at her today and it looks like she has mites!!!
i am not very excited
what should i do to get rid of them. doesnt look like there are many just a couple but i want to nip it in the bud while i can.

so if anyone has any advice whatsoever it will be much appricaited!!!!!

Mike M.
12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Nix solution is the way to go. My baby corn had mites, and that's what I used. Simply put it in a spray bottle and spray down your snake, tank, and area around your tank. I can't find the thread with the exact formula. I think it was like the 500ml bottle diluted in a gallon of water, but don't quote me on that. I believe Jay@PJCReptiles posted the nix solution, so you should look into pming him.

--Mike

mindfreak
12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Here's a recent thread explaining how someone else handled their mites:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92966

Heat kills mites. I know someone who microwaved their snake's hides to ensure the mites were all dead. I'm not sure how well this works, how hot you have to get, or how safe this is, so if you choose to try this be extremely careful. Note this probably isn't the best way to kill them all, but its a good way to make sure the hides and bowls that could be infected are completely clean before putting them back in the cage.

Putting the mites underwater or dabbing something like vaseline or neosporin directly onto the mites will suffocate and kill them. I know some people just fill their bathtubs up and let their snakes take a small swim when they see there are mites on the snake. However, dabbing neosporin directly on the snake seems much less stressful and a more sure fire approach.

I'd suggest you look over the thread I posted and search for other solutions to find what would work best for you. I don't have my copy on me right now, but I'd strongly suggest going over The Cornsnake Manuel by Kathy Love. It's a great reference for any of your snake's general needs and strongly recommended by any corn snake owner I know, including myself.

Make sure, however you decide to go about killing the mites, that you thoroughly clean the cage, all hides/branches/bowls/whatever else is in there, and the snake itself.

Congrats on the new corn!

bkelm18
12-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Nix solution is the way to go. My baby corn had mites, and that's what I used. Simply put it in a spray bottle and spray down your snake, tank, and area around your tank. I can't find the thread with the exact formula. I think it was like the 500ml bottle diluted in a gallon of water, but don't quote me on that. I believe Jay@PJCReptiles posted the nix solution, so you should look into pming him.

--Mike

Nooo no no, it's a 59 ml bottle, not a 500 ml bottle. :p

Here's the thread: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545

I used this method and it worked 100%.

Hypancistrus
12-25-2009, 12:16 PM
We used these instructions. Worked like a charm.

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/dealing-with-snake-mites/

loyalsissaly84
12-25-2009, 02:25 PM
what does it look like and how do you find out? i just got my first corn snake wednesday, and i don't know what type she is or how to check for these things?

MegF.
12-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I would use Provent a mite. You only need one treatment and it will kill any mites for 30 days. Remove all substrate, clean all cage furniture. If you can't sterilize it...dump it.Wash the cage out with a bleach solution. Rinse well and dry. Spray provent a mite and allow to dry. Place paper towels in as substrate. Soak your snake in water with a drop of soap to break surface tension. Wipe her dry with a paper towel. Put the snake in the cage. If she's been soaking in the water, leave the water bowl out for a night to allow the PAM to kill what's on her. I've never had to treat more than once and PAM has been proven to be SAFE...all the time. There's no question about how strong or weak that particular batch of spray is compared to the Nix which is not regulated as to purity of the chemical pyrethrin. You can also take a paper towel and wipe around all cage doors or tops to make a "barrier of death" that kill any mites that might try to crawl into the cage. This only needs to be done every 30 days to keep it effective. One can of PAM will last you a loooooonnnngggg time.

Nova1923
12-25-2009, 11:17 PM
what does it look like and how do you find out? i just got my first corn snake wednesday, and i don't know what type she is or how to check for these things?
post a picture of what she looks like. pics are always nice to see.
mites are black little dots that you can see on the snake around the eyes and mouth and such. i got lucky and caught it early so they are gone now. but they will hide under the snakes scales and lay eggs and such.
post pics!!!!

loyalsissaly84
12-25-2009, 11:47 PM
i just got more info about her from her breeder, about the mites and what to watch out for. my sissaly isn't bright like yours but she is really beautiful.since it is my first time being a mom to the new little one. i'm just being nervous and so infatuated by how beautiful they are...i want to make sure i do this right, lol!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=617&pictureid=4331

my youngest holding her.

MegF.
12-26-2009, 07:30 AM
If you got the snake from a decent breeder, I would doubt you'd have mites. I find it most often in stuff I get from brokers at the shows or from animals that have come from petstores.

carnivorouszoo
12-26-2009, 10:42 AM
She's pretty. Not a very close up pic but far as I can tell no mites on the snake. put a white paper or paper towel in her viv for a couple of hours if you see red or black dots moving on it you have mites. If you use wood chips run your hands through it if there are mite they will be on your hand after one swipe. Tip, I always freeze wood chip bedding for 2 weeks. Never had problems with mites. I've kept animals on wood chips for over 17 years.

loyalsissaly84
12-26-2009, 10:47 AM
She's pretty. Not a very close up pic but far as I can tell no mites on the snake. put a white paper or paper towel in her viv for a couple of hours if you see red or black dots moving on it you have mites. If you use wood chips run your hands through it if there are mite they will be on your hand after one swipe. Tip, I always freeze wood chip bedding for 2 weeks. Never had problems with mites. I've kept animals on wood chips for over 17 years.

freezing the wood chips?i'll try that one to, someone else told me something about heat treatment, but these are all good things to know, just in case i come across a situation like this.or even to avoid a situation like that.. thak you!