PDA

View Full Version : Scotch wont Eat!! Help!!

Scotch wont Eat!! Help!!

wasuslitherin
12-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello, My first snake,Scotch, that I have had for 11 months now, wont eat. He has ALWAYS been a reliable eater, even in blue.
I recently purached 11 new sanekes. Could this be the reason? Could it be the cold coming? What do I do to get him eating again? I tryed poking holes in the fuzzie trying to get the smells to get to him.

Please help me, it has been 13 days since his last feed. It took him awhile to eat that one too.

arrowhd
12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
13 days isn't that long for a snake to go off feeding. Does your snake still look healthy? Most of my snakes slow down on feeding this time of year. Could be preparing for a shed as well. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

wasuslitherin
12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
He completly refused to eat it, I am uasaully on a 5-7 day feeding schedule with him but I went to visit family and just got back and tryed feeding him. I am taking his roommates out and putting them in another tank right away.

Nanci
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Snakes change. I just had a young snake miss _two_ meals (he's on a five day schedule) because he was blue. Only he's white, so it's impossible to tell he's blue! So he ate, and then went 15 days until the next meal (he was offered two while blue, but refused both times). He happily ate after he shed.

So I'd just keep him on his regular schedule, not start offering food frequently. It wouldn't hurt to drop his feeding container down a size, if you are REALLY worried, just till he eats once again. How does he behave in his feeding container? If he is poking all over trying to escape, I'd cover him. If he's just laying there ignoring the prey, after a couple hours I'd just try again in five days.

diamondlil
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
He completly refused to eat it, I am uasaully on a 5-7 day feeding schedule with him but I went to visit family and just got back and tryed feeding him. I am taking his roommates out and putting them in another tank right away.
'Roommates'? 'another tank'? you didn't put your 11 new snakes in with him?

mindfreak
12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
...Wait, you keep multiple snakes in the same cage?

Nanci
12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Hold it- you have him in with other snakes????????????????????

Teddy Roosevelt
12-24-2009, 02:09 PM
I think we found your problem. :rolleyes:

wasuslitherin
12-25-2009, 12:36 AM
He is with 4 other snakes. I jst bought the others from a breeder and she said it was perfectly fine to have them together, I am separateing them tomorrow A.S.A.P!

jlindp
12-25-2009, 01:40 AM
From everything I've read, it's never a good idea to keep two snakes in the same enclosure, except for breeding purposes (and that's short term!), but to have five? Whoa. Not good. Poor little thing is probably super stressed. I'd make sure every snake has its own home. I don't think "share" is in a corn's vocabulary. They are solitary animals. I'd also give him several days to relax, no handling, no attempting to feed, etc. Just let him be for 4-5 days. If you've had him 11 months, he should be fine to go that long without food.

Let us know how it goes!

mindfreak
12-25-2009, 02:19 AM
FIVE snakes together? Out of curiousity, (this is the biggest out of all the questions that immediately came to mind) how big is the cage you've got them in??

Yeah, you've gotta separate them. All of them, into their own separate cages. It's just not safe or healthy for the poor guys.

mindfreak
12-25-2009, 02:20 AM
That's what I get for typing fast. Curiosity. Sorry about that..

Teddy Roosevelt
12-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Wow. I mean my breeder sold a normal as an anery and thinks creamsicles are pure corn, but she'd never condone 5 snakes, especially of different sizes and genders, in one tank together. Separate them immediately into their own enclosures... if you're tight on cash, locking sterilites with holes drilled in will do, but frankly if you couldn't provide for 11 new snakes you shouldn't have gotten them...

SnakeBit
12-25-2009, 02:50 AM
check this one out. my corn hasnt eaten in a month.its cold here in new york.i keep his tank between 73 to 80 degrees.he shed two days ago,drinks plenty of water,and seems healthy.just wont eat.he is about two years old.this is the first winter i have him.could it be the change in weather

diamondlil
12-25-2009, 04:33 AM
He is with 4 other snakes. I jst bought the others from a breeder and she said it was perfectly fine to have them together, I am separateing them tomorrow A.S.A.P!
Have you heard of quarantine? Read any of the many threads about co-habbing? I'm not going to say that every member here knows the absolute, no arguments allowed, no variations encouraged way to keep corns....but a little research or asking some questions on here might have been a good idea.
By cohabbing your corn with your new purchases you may have exposed it to infections or parasites from the new additions, you've certainly caused stress which has stopped it feeding.
Have you checked, rechecked and checked (again!) the new snakes for mites? Mites are a known vector for spreading diseases between snakes. Corns can carry diseases such as crypto at a sub-acute level then show symptoms and deterioration when under stress.
I really want to be wrong and be giving you the worst case scenario, but I personally feel every new purchase should be treated as potentially carrying diseases until proved healthy to minimise the risk to any snakes already owned.

wasuslitherin
12-25-2009, 01:40 PM
The breeder said no quarantine nessesary. All of her snakes (100+) she said not once did she do it.

diamondlil
12-25-2009, 01:45 PM
The breeder said no quarantine nessesary. All of her snakes (100+) she said not once did she do it.
If I wanted to shift 10 hatchlings off to someone without the viv space.....and I didn't care......that's what I might say
Also, if she never quarantined, then I'd say buying from her would be even higher risk

Teddy Roosevelt
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
The breeder also said there would be no problems putting 5 snakes of different sizes together. The breeder is a ninny.

wasuslitherin
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
ok, thanks all in own viv's. ( thank goodness for thoughs tanks!)