PDA

View Full Version : Shedding/not eating

Shedding/not eating

Pickle
12-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I've had my snake just over a month, she shed within days of arriving and apparently she shed only few days before coming to me. Last week she refused her food and a couple of days later her eyes went cloudy so i presumed she wouldn't eat because she might shed. Is this normal? I did try her again today and she took one mouse.

The only other thing concerning me is that when she last shed she didn't shed properly round her head and some of her underneath. What can i do to make sure its more successful this time and is it ok for her to shed this often?

jlindp
12-26-2009, 04:48 PM
A snake refusing to eat during the shed process is not unusual. It's all personal preference for the snake. I have 5 snakes, and 3 will eat no matter what, and 2 will not eat when in blue.

As far as a bad shed, it sounds like you need to increase your humidity. Try to achieve a level of 45-50%. You could also provide just a humid hide with a bit of damp moss or damp paper towels. You can also spritz your snake a few times a day just while in the shed process. Hope that helps!

8292tom
12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
This is how things go around here. My snake Steve-o

8292tom
12-26-2009, 05:38 PM
My corn Steve-o won't eat in blue, I just wait till he sheds, and then feed him the next scheduled feeding day. We haven't had any problems doing it that way. When Steve went into blue I put an upside down gladware container in his viv with damp paper towels in it. I turned the container upside down and cut an arch in one end of the short side. Took a file and filed the rough edges of my cut. Put two damp paper towels into the container, put the lid on and turned it upside down. Checked the container for any other sharp edges. Then I just put it in his viv. He ignored it the first day, after that he spent about 48 hrs. in there. He came out the third day and shed within 24 hrs. I also misted my viv twice a day to help with humidity, and covered the warm side of the viv with saran wrap to hold in the added humidity. This all has worked for us, it may not work for everyone, but it's what works well for Steve-o.

Teddy Roosevelt
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
So she's shedding every few days? Definitely not normal, might be a sign of a wound or skin condition.

Pickle
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the hints, how often should she shed, she's 2 years old, i don't know if that makes a difference?

This is the second time in about 6 weeks, i have checked really carefully today and she doesn't seem to have any skin problems.

bitsy
12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd say one shed every six weeks is about right for that age. They shed less often as they get older. Once mine reach adult size, they shed 4-5 times a year.

Pickle
01-04-2010, 02:59 AM
I can now confirm we've had a very successful shed!!! Woo, thanks all :-)