PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory Infection

Respiratory Infection

Teddy Roosevelt
12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Mouse started "popping" a few days ago. It's worth mentioning that she seems to be about to go into shed (but I'm still not used to her color change when she does, I could be wrong) and it could just be skin on her nose whistling, but it seems like I "feel" it when she pops inside of her. I upped her heat and changed her water bowl (apparently clay pot bottoms leak; my bad) to a smaller, more conventional bowl, so the humidity is down and her heat is ~87-92 degrees. Over the last few days it seems to have gotten quieter and less frequent, but I'm moving her to a somewhat larger container soon in hopes that a little more room and ventilation with keep the humidity problem down a bit. In the meantime, what can I do to ease her symptoms, other than what I already am? She ate fine several days ago and she's pooping alright.

bitsy
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
How long has the sound been noticable? The noise may well be to do with her shedding, as you've mentioned. Higher humidity is recommended for both shedding and RI, so it doesn't make sense to move her to a lower humidity container just at the moment.

What symptoms is she showing, other than the "popping" noise, that might need easing? If she's eating and pooping normally, and not showing any other signs of an RI, I'd be inclined to sit tight and wait to see if she sheds. The less disturbance the better, really.

Teddy Roosevelt
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Alright then. I could just be a helicopter mommy; if she stops making the noise after she sheds I'll post, but it feels like there's a vibration inside her when she makes the noise. I'll refrain from moving her for now, but I've been meanign to give her a smewhat larger hoe anyways; I think the sterilite she's in now might be about 5g. She seems comfortable in it now, but she's growing faster than Boo is, so...

Teddy Roosevelt
12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I need help! I thought she was doing better but now she's popping more frequently and seems to be opening her mouth occasionally to breathe! She's also ceaselessly nose-rubbing in her cage; a little piece of shed skin is on top of her nose. I don't know what to do! The warm side of her cage is at 92* and the humidity is around 60%. I don't want to lose this girl! What do I do?

Teddy Roosevelt
12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Checked her mouth; doesn't seem swollen or abnormally colored.

ComoxCorn
12-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Might be worth a trip to the vet.

bitsy
12-29-2009, 05:32 AM
It honestly sounds like she's just having trouble shedding. Pop a humid hide in with her.

However, if you're really worried then do see a reptile vet. Obviously you know your snake better than us - we're just diagnosing from a distance. It could be worth it just to put your mind at rest.

LBoz
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I got your message, and I really have no hands on experience with an ill snake, but from what I've read, and seeing what Bitsy posted above, I agree that it's likely it's a shedding issue. If she's nose-rubbing, she might have stuck shed over her nose? I've read of others hearing a similar sound during a shed. If you're feeling a vibration in her, that may be stress from handling, when snakes are a bit more freakish already while blue. My adult king vibrates like that when he's held. Try the humid hide and see what happens, but find a reptile vet in your area just in case you need to take her in quickly. Keep us posted, and best of luck.

Teddy Roosevelt
12-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Becky PM'd me letting me know how to help start her shed, and I got her head off for her. She then managed to get about down to her heart before losing it, so I had to help her get the rest off throughout the night. That's been the norm for this snake since before I got her, though; just not a good shedder. She's stopped popping and opening her mouth since then, so I guess I'll just have to assume that it was her normal, if unsettling, pre-shed behavior.

desertanimal
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I didn't look at this thread for a while. Glad it's resolved. I figured I'd go ahead and give you this info. now so that you have it before you need it rather than after having had to ask for it. This guy comes well-recommended by Connie Hurley, who is a vet herself and well-known in the cornsnake world. He also gets full points from me.

Gilbert
Todd Driggers, DVM
Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic of Arizona
1530 W. Elliot Road
Gilbert, AZ 85234
Tel: (480) 706-8478

Teddy Roosevelt
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks Stephanie!

LBoz
12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Glad the sounds have stopped. Since she's often a problem shedder, you might want to start misting her decor when you notice her eyes going cloudy, and also a larger water bowl situated closer to her warm side might help as well. Glad it all worked out. :)

bitsy
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow - what a relief! Glad it's worked out OK.

Have you tried a humid hide when she goes into blue? I'm guessing in Arizona humidity could be an ongoing problem and a hide might provide a more constant source of dampness than misting (which again, I guess, will dry up pretty soon after "squirting"!)?

danielle
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Pepper I have a female corn that does this before EVERY shed so expect this next time as well. Not all of them do it, but its not too uncommon:)

Teddy Roosevelt
12-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Wow - what a relief! Glad it's worked out OK.

Have you tried a humid hide when she goes into blue? I'm guessing in Arizona humidity could be an ongoing problem and a hide might provide a more constant source of dampness than misting (which again, I guess, will dry up pretty soon after "squirting"!)?
No, because her tub humidity has always been a problem... always seemed to read ~80% until I got her a better water dish. Now it's down to ~60%. I even tried letting her soak in lukewarm water, as Don Soderburg's book suggests, 24 hours before she shed. Boo sheds perfectly regardless of humidity. I think that's just her way; she's just not a great shedder.:shrugs:
Pepper I have a female corn that does this before EVERY shed so expect this next time as well. Not all of them do it, but its not too uncommonGood to know. This girl was making my TMJ go crazy D: Glad to know for next time that this behavior is normal for her.