PDA

View Full Version : Is this Scale rot or ???? Opinions and help please.

Is this Scale rot or ???? Opinions and help please.

bekers71
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
This boy just arrived today and needless to say I am a little concerned with what I see on his face. Other than his face, he appears to be in really good health. He weighs 650 grams, is thick and muscular and I don't hear any wheezing or popping. I don't want to return him. It's taken me months to find an adult male like him for my projects. I really love his colors too, they aren't very accurate in these pics though. So I sent an email to the seller and this was her response: "Im glad he got there ok. I noticed his nose too when I first got him, and it's always been a bit blunt, so I just chalked that up to being a hybrid. As for the spots, Im not sure when they appeared but they dont resemble anything serious like scale rot, which I've seen on other snakes. The conditions of his cage were certainly not poor enough to lead to that anyway, I make sure of that. It could just be a bit of rubbing and should go away with his next shed. If it doesnt clear up, however, let me know and we'll figure out where to go from there." (I with held the name on purpose.) The seller is really great to deal with and has had great communication. So I'm sure if I wanted to return him or some thing she would be easy to work with. But I'd rather try to fix his issue than send him back.

So, I need the help of you guys to try and figure out what this is and the best course of action. I'm pretty sure the blunt nose is from nose rubbing just not sure about the rest.

By the way-he is a bubblegum rat snake. :)

bitsy
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
When one of mine got scale rot, the leading edges of the belly scales went beige/brown and became ragged. Is there any sign of that on the fella?

Roy Munson
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Looks like heavy-duty nose-rub to me. (Rostral abrasion to the initiated.)

medusacoils
12-29-2009, 06:50 PM
I would guess more along the lines of nose rub. :shrugs:

Wayne

bekers71
12-29-2009, 06:54 PM
When one of mine got scale rot, the leading edges of the belly scales went beige/brown and became ragged. Is there any sign of that on the fella?

No his belly is perfect. Not a mark on it or a bad scale.

Looks like heavy-duty nose-rub to me. (Rostral abrasion to the initiated.)

I would guess more along the lines of nose rub. :shrugs:

Wayne

Any suggestions on what I should do about it? Dryer climate, triple antibiotic ointment or ??

bekers71
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Also, what do you guys make of the hole on the top of his head in the last pic? Is that part of nose rub too?

Roy Munson
12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
The snake probably lived in sketchy conditions with a screen top. Screens suck unless you have an absolutely contented and non-exploratory snake. A nice tub with proper humidity should do the trick. He'll likely remain a little scarred, but reducing that swelling will do much to improve his outward appearance. Pretty snake!

bekers71
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
The snake probably lived in sketchy conditions with a screen top. Screens suck unless you have an absolutely contented and non-exploratory snake. A nice tub with proper humidity should do the trick. He'll likely remain a little scarred, but reducing that swelling will do much to improve his outward appearance. Pretty snake!

Thanks Dean for the advice and the compliment. I'll keep an eye on him and see how he does on his next shed.

Asbit
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Poor dude, his nose looks sore! The rest of him looks really nice though! I see why you do not want to have to give him up. Best of luck with him Becky.