PDA

View Full Version : Apollo has a shedding problem...

Apollo has a shedding problem...

salvadorian
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Alright, so, about four days ago, I looked at Apollo and his eyes were kinda foggy and his skin looked sort of dull and felt not as smooth, so I was like "oh, he's getting ready to shed!" and I expected him to do so in the next couple of days. But he hasn't. Instead, his eyes have whited out so much and his skin is so bad that I'm kind of worried. He still moves around, but is obviously not his usual self because of the white-out eyes, but the main issue is this: yesterday I woke up and looked at him and he looked ill. He looked really thin and was "panting" so I sat him by his water and he drank for five straight minutes. He can't see his water!
I know he's in need a a good shed but he's never had trouble before.
What should I do?! What can I do?!

Nanci
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Sounds like he might need a vet visit!

salvadorian
12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Ok well im going to put him in a warm shoe box with damp newspaper for a while and see if that does the trick.... after soaking him his skin looked completely normal except for the fact that it obviously needed to come off.

Nanci
12-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Is he breathing normally now?

salvadorian
12-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes yes, I was saying that yesterday, he was panting, but after placing him near his water and him drinking, he was fine. I guess I wasn't very clear about that! I have been taking care to make sure that he gets his water since then.

salvadorian
12-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Helloooo!
Anyone else have an opinion on this situation? Should I be worried? I placed him in a shoebox over the UTH with moist newspaper.. can I leave him there overnite? Help please!

tstephe3
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
When my snakes have problems shedding, its because the Humidity is too low. Typically happens alot in the winter. But, I will get a tub and put warmish water in it.. Make sure it feels a little cool to you.. Since warm to you would be over 98 F..

I will put them in the container with a lid and breathing holes and leave them in there for thirty minutes or so. They soak and soak.. Then I take a damp wash cloth, paper towel would work too.. And once they get there head started the skin should come off like a sock. Some times it wont, so just help them get the skin off with the wash cloth. Don't sqeeze or push on them two hard. If the skin is moist enough a gentle squeeze/rub will take it off.

Hope that helps.

bitsy
01-01-2010, 05:12 AM
I placed him in a shoebox over the UTH with moist newspaper.. can I leave him there overnite?
No. Take him off of the UTH - he shouldn't be trapped in a hot position that he can't get away from. He should be able to thermoregulate at all times. Overheating (even when the temp is at their safe upper limit) is very dangerous and leaving him there overnight could kill him, especially if he already has some kind of health problem.

Put a humid hide in that he can choose to move in and out of and put it midway between the warm and cool zones.

If you're worried about further dehydration, I'd suggest giving him daily 30 minute soaks, as decribed by Trent above. They can absorb water through the cloaca as well as by drinking.