PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal?

Is This Normal?

jpichie
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I took out Slingshot today, 2 days after his last feeding, and noticed his neck looked "fat". If I push on it, it's not hard, and seems to go back to normal until I let go. See the pics below:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/jpichie/IMG_2687.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/jpichie/IMG_2688.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/jpichie/IMG_2689.jpg

Is this normal? I did feed him a pretty large ASF.

salvadorian
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
That doesn't look normal to me.... the ASF wasn't alive when you fed him, was it? It looks like an abcess or something in need on medical attention.

Ssthisto
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Does he have any mucus in his mouth/throat, and is he due for a shed?

I've seen corns get a LITTLE "throaty" when they're coming up to a shed, but that's pretty bulgy, and I'd be more concerned about a respiratory infection.

jpichie
12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
It was a F/T, and he will be due to shed soon if he keeps up with his cycle.
How would I check for mucus? His temps are at a constant 75ish on the cold 85-88ish on the warm.

bitsy
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Temps look good.

Is he due a shed? Haven't experienced it myself, but I have seen reports of throat swelling just before a shed. May be part of the process to loosen skin? Just a guess though.

jpichie
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Turns out it is a RI (I just confirmed it with my GFs uncle).
It has been ridiculously cold the past week here in Cornwall, Ontario, so his cold side is probably not where it should be (spends all his time on that side).
I noticed he had the same neck thing going on last week, but then spend a whole day under his warm hide (temp was 88). Next time I looked at him, his neck was fine.
I will be raising the temps the second I get home.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

jpichie
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Quick question, I raised the temps in the tank by removing a 40W house bulb, and replacing it with a 100W Daylight Spot. I think the ambient air was too cold as temps were hitting -20 here in Ontario. Now my question is, with my light on, the temps on the warm side get to low to mid 90's, which is clearing up his RI. The cold side is around 78-82, and the ambient air is in the 80s as well. I think the I ran into problems with the ambient air, as his warm side was alwaus around 85-88 (I have his UTH on a rheostat). Should I keep his temps that high once his RI is healed up? or should I also add the lamp to my rheostat? I do not want to turn down his UTH much more, as they need the belly heat.
Thanks.

Tracee
01-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I'll just give this a bump so someone can help you RE the temps and a possible RI.

Could I ask, is your girlfriend's uncle a vet who has diagnosed the RI? And have you noticed the snake go into blue yet?

My snake, Charlie, poked his head out at me last weekend, and he had the scary-looking bulge, exactly as yours does. Hubby said if I hadn't been there he'd have been calling me in a panic. Watched him for a couple of days and he's now deep in blue. It doesn't happen every shed, but it happens enough that I now associate it with an impending shed.

It's one of those mysteries I don't think has been solved yet...

RobbiesCornField
01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I've seen it happen every now and then either before a shed, as previously mentioned, or after they've just taken a big drink of water that they're trying to swallow and you're bugging 'em by pulling 'em out. Sometimes, if it's the latter, they'll even spit the water out on you.

medusacoils
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
That looks like a URI. Is he sneezing or wheezing? He may need a trip to the vet.

Wayne

ceduke
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
If you're not sure about your temps, this is a cheap, easy to use thermometer that I've had good luck with. It's SLOW, but it works.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/thermometers-thermostats-and-timers/-/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-with-probe/