PDA

View Full Version : Mouth problem.

Mouth problem.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
What is this and how can I fix it? Sorry for picture quality, I would have better pics on my dad's digital camera but he insisted you "couldn't see s***" and refused to let me see the ones he'd already taken, giving me the sage advice of "just leave it alone, it's just a snake". There's a bulge at the tip of her mouth that looks like a cut or something when I opened it up. Definitely separate from the hole her tongue comes out of. It's swollen enough that her mouth is slightly open at all times as you can see in picture one. the bulge appears to be a little bloody and has something white on the very tip-top of it. Is this mouth rot or something? And regardless of what it is, how do I make it go away?
Again, sorry for the HIDEOUS pic quality, I know you can't see much. But I only have two hands. On the bright side you have some nice quality pictures of my parents' bathroom and sink.

danielle
01-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I can't see anything which means nothing I might as well be blind,lol I wouldn't try to open her mouth and just keep an eye on it. They can bang their mouths but these things usually heal on their own. Is she eating?

Teddy Roosevelt
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Last feeding was Tues. She ate as normal. Next feeding is Sunday or Monday, so if she refuses food I'll raise some more concern about this, but for now can I get some general ideas for how to alleviate what surely must be a painful cut?

Lennycorn
01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
he's right ..I can't see s%#$. let it be for now and just keep an eye on it.

What in your cage to give him a "cut" anyway...anything??

Teddy Roosevelt
01-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Not that I can think of.

EDIT: I forgot about how every night I brush her teeth with needles. Could that have something to do with it?:nyah:

Lennycorn
01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Not that I can think of.

EDIT: I forgot about how every night I brush her teeth with needles. Could that have something to do with it?:nyah:

Put you hand in there and feel anythe the cage/tank. Try the lip of the cage and other things. Hides etc.

danielle
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Dave's right cage ornaments can seem harmless until there not. I wouldn't put a thing on it but do wach for more swelling, lack of tongue flicking, and discharge:)

Teddy Roosevelt
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
To Camby: Sorry, I emptied my inbox before I could send a reply. She ate yesterday with no hesitation and swallowed as normal, but after she was done she stretched her jaw a lot more and made a sort of click sound every few seconds. This was not the same sound she made pre-shed that seemed like a URI, and it didn't seem to coincide with her breathing or tongue-flicking.

Aislin
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I have no idea what it is but I hope it clears up quickly. Its so hard not to worry about them...

diamondlil
01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
If it seems to deteriorate at all there is the possibility of mouthrot with a mouth injury. Is there any way of getting a better picture?

danielle
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Sounds like she was readjusting her jaw after a meal and nothing to worry about:) If it gets worse though definitely have her looked at.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
If it seems to deteriorate at all there is the possibility of mouthrot with a mouth injury. Is there any way of getting a better picture?
Not unless I had help. One hand to hold the very unhappy snake, one hand to gently put a card in her mouth, third hand to get camera and take decent picture... what I wouldn't give to be a mutant >: I could draw a fairly accurate picture of it though.
Sounds like she was readjusting her jaw after a meal and nothing to worry about:) If it gets worse though definitely have her looked at.
Alright, it just seems I've never heard either snake make that much noise after a meal. I'll keep an eye on her after she finishes digesting. Speaking of which, does anyone elses snake not hide after eating? This little girl cruise her cage for an hour or so, then finds somewhere she can watch me and curls up there in plain sight. Boo goes straight for the warm hide and refuses to come out for two days.

desertanimal
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Any luck getting a vet appointment for this little one?

Teddy Roosevelt
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94237
Indeed I have :)