• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Missing Scale after Shed

CodeRed

Critter Creeper
So, my little one shed today, and I just now noticed it's missing a scale on the very top of their head (there is a bit of blood, as I've just now noticed). At first I thought it was because I put some new plants in today for decoration, then after reading up here, I see it could be from the shed itself? I've moved him/her into a 4 gallon critter keeper with paper towel bedding, greenery, its favorite hide, and its water. Is that good for now? Should I put something on the wound itself, to ensure that infection does not set in? This is my second corn, the first dying when it came home sick, and I love it to pieces. I do not want something to happen to him. I already feel guilty, since I hadn't misted his cage today, which I've been doing for the past week. I keep thinking this caused a bad shed, and it's pretty much killing me. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Here are a couple of pictures of the wound (it's right between the eyes, and kind of obvious):

102_0085.jpg

102_0084.jpg

102_0086.jpg

102_0087.jpg

go to petsmart or petco and buy a kit that has reptile safe antiseptic with cotton swabs. use that on her head it will heal :)

It'll heal just fine on its own. It's happened a couple times with some of my corns. Basically, what happened is they scraped too hard against something sharp or the thing they were using to help them shed and peeled a scale off. If you want it to heal quickly with no infection, you can use the Neosporin with NO painkillers. The bare minimum basic cheap-o stuff. It really works quite well, and the would will heal very quickly.

Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to Scarlet this morning! She JUST shed and I noticed one of her scales missing on her head! Talk about coincidence. She also looks just like your snake too!

*Twilight Zone Music*

Well, thanks for the help :) Sorry for the delayed reply. I wasn't able to get anything to help heal it up, but he did well in the four gallon for a week, and it looks like it's starting to heal up on its own. I put him back into his original viv just now, since the four gallon is way too small for him, and he's getting zero exercise in there. This is okay, right? I'm a little worried about infection still, but it seems he's doing fine on his own.

And @ladyrepublica, wow, that is a little odd xD I guess it happens more often than I thought, which is a great relief. Hope yours gets better, too!

Because snakes absorb through their skin(which is why a dehydrated snake can get rehydrated by being put in a bath) and the amount of pain killer is in doses meant to help humans numb pain so the levels can be toxic to snakes.

Robbie gave excellent advice follow it and keep them on paper towel until the wound heals and don't be surprised if they shed quicker than usual next time, this often happens with an injury. Good luck both of you.

Back