PDA

View Full Version : Another non-feeder possibility?

Another non-feeder possibility?

Kali
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd just like to know wether more people have done this. I haven't heard of it much.
Last year I had 4 non-feeders. After trying all the typical things, I started force-feeding. One got it right after two sessions, the others just didn't want to know.
I had read that it was possible to put them in a mini brumation, and it would possibly kickstart the feeding process.
I decided to try it, waited until they had pooped their last meal, and turned off the uth. I didn't put them really cold, but kept them at room temperature for four weeks.
After that I turned the heat back on, and offered them a live pinky. Two of them ate immediately, the other ate the second one I offered a few days later. Their next meal was f/t and they ate it without hesitation. (so maybe the live one wasn't necessary).
After that, they never again refused a meal, unless in shed.

When people ask advice about getting non-feeders to eat, this is hardly ever mentioned. Has anybody ever tried this? Is it a freak accident that it worked for me? Any other thoughts?

Nanci
01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I've heard of it before, especially in connection with western hoggies and rosy boas.

Asbit
01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I to have read of it but have no experience with it.

chad27
01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Ive heard of people doing it and seems to work.If I ever have non feeders its what I will do.

Susielea
01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Interesting. I've heard of it being done with Rosy Boas, but not really with Corn snake hatchlings. Could I ask what your room temps were, when you did this?

Kali
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Well after my experience this year, I'm sure to try it again if and when I get non-feeders again. Two years ago I had one that I have been force-feeding for six months to the point that I began asking myself wether I was putting myself and especially the little one through more stress and heartache then was acceptable. And then she all of a sudden decided that the mice were yummy... :)
Maybe the little brumation would have worked with her also, I'll never know.
In any case it's a lot less stress for them.

Kali
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Interesting. I've heard of it being done with Rosy Boas, but not really with Corn snake hatchlings. Could I ask what your room temps were, when you did this?

The room was at most 70 by day, and cooled down to about 60-65 by night (if the celcius/fahrenheit converter serves me right :)) Their little vivs were in an open closet were they had less light, but it wasn't completely dark. Always water present of course.

ghosthousecorns
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm trying a little brumation period for a couple of my 09s. It seems the prettiest of the clutch always have to be the pickiest. When I warm them I will post if I have any luck.

Kali
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm trying a little brumation period for a couple of my 09s. It seems the prettiest of the clutch always have to be the pickiest. When I warm them I will post if I have any luck.

Please do! I would sure like to know wether it has worked or not. I guess no method is infallible, but it sure is interesting!

Asbit
01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd be interested in your results as well Jen.

Susielea
01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
The room was at most 70 by day, and cooled down to about 60-65 by night (if the celcius/fahrenheit converter serves me right :)) Their little vivs were in an open closet were they had less light, but it wasn't completely dark. Always water present of course.

Thank you! I might consider trying something like this if I get any non-feeders this year, as it seems our temperatures would be very similar and I could find somewhere fairly easily to do that :)

I'd love to see what results you get too Jen! :)