PDA

View Full Version : Dalek ate Fir bark! Pictures...

Dalek ate Fir bark! Pictures...

Arpolis
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Hello all. I have never had this happen and it concerns me a bit. My cute and lovely petco find amel that looks like a floresant almost has a piece of "Repti Bark Fir park bedding". Is there anything I can do to help her?

covato78
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Ouch that looks like it hurts im sure the experienced ppl on the forum are typing up suggestions right now as I am new I am of no use just here to offer my support I would suggest feeding in a separate tank or plastic tub to avoid this in the future.

medusacoils
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Did she just go ahead and eat it, or did you feed her in her viv?

I'm not sure what you could do, without causing damage. I'm wondering if you are going to need to make a trek to the vet. That piece looks a little big to pass on it's own.

Sorry I can't help.

Wayne

Billybobob
01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Ouch, that sucks! It looks like you are going to have to have that surgically removed. So take it to the vet. It may have already perforated the esophagus(Judging by the bulge on the right side). So I would not try massaging it out yourself, you might end up doing more damage rather than helping.

Good luck with your snake hope every thing works out.

Arpolis
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I always fed her in her tank. She has always been an agresive eater with great strike and coil response but when I went to check her out after she was done with her meal she was like this.

Shiari
01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah... that's a vet visit right there.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
JEEZ, that looks bad. I would take her to the vet PRONTO, because there isn't much you can do to her that won't make things worse. Maybe in the future buy her a sterilite container just for feeding? Then you'd avoid this happening again. I know some corns won't take it outside of their 'territory'... Mouse for example, is a bit under the weather right now, and will only take food offered in her viv. She normally takes it fine in a bin.

K. Rene
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah that's not good, idk if that will dissolve any and be digested. I would find a herp vet asap and you know now that feeding in the tank can be dangerous.

wade
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I think I would try to massage it to be inline with her throat. Very gently, try to work the left side back toward the head. I think if you can get it in line it will pass. I would do it sooner than later, you don’t want to have it puncture anything. If you can’t get it in line on your own without too much force, I think you need to have a Vet do it in the morning.

medusacoils
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Did you try blowing into the Cloaca? :sidestep:

Wayne

covato78
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
or maybe at least put the food in a dish or on a saucer if you HAVE to put it in the viv so that way its not sitting in the bedding

requin
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Ouch! That looks really painful. I would definitely get it checked out by a vet if I were you...hopefully everything turns out okay.

I also second the suggestions of either feeding in a separate bin, or putting something between the substrate and the mouse. You could use the lid from something like a cream cheese container or something similar - a paper towel would probably work too.

Arpolis
01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Well I ended up gently rubbing her neck a bit and the item easily rotated in her neck so it was more in line but still there. Now this may not have been the best move but I then offered her a large pinky mouse and she gulped it down quick seemingly taking the bark down with it. I figured the bark would digest and pass more easily if it was in the lower intestine. Here are some pics of her now. I will keep you all up to date how she does over the next few days.

medusacoils
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I would not have done that. A piece of bark that big could cause her to become seriously impacted. It's not going to digest!

She really needs to get to the vet and you really need to keep an eye on her.

Wayne

Shiari
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
What your snake now has in its intestines is called a "foreign body". Snakes are not going to be able to digest large chunks of wood, and there is a good chance that that will either block outflow from the stomach, or lodge in the intestines and create a blockage there.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Ok, now DEFINITELY take her to a vet. Snake's stomach acid isn't meant for fibrous things... I foudn this out the hard way when Mouse pooped out a nice, long, perfectly intact piece of aspen. I worry most about it causing an impaction (imagine if you got really, REALLY super bad constipation, that would not possibly ease up without a doctor's help) and secondly about it slicing her intestines to ribbons. Go to an emergency vet if you must.

ceduke
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
YOU FED HER?! Why not just put her in the freezer now, that piece of bark will most likely go straight down and kill her! It WILL NOT get digested, it will either obstruct the intestines or rupture them.

Go. To. The. Vet. NOW! This is an emergency.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-24-2010, 11:34 PM
YOU FED HER?! Why not just put her in the freezer now, that piece of bark will most likely go straight down and kill her! It WILL NOT get digested, it will either obstruct the intestines or rupture them.

Go. To. The. Vet. NOW! This is an emergency.
That's a bit harsh... He's new and he thought it would help. I'm not at ALL defending what he did and he'd better be at the vet or driving there now if he wants to keep this girl, but I think yelling and telling him he'd be better off freezing her is a little scary and intimidating for a new member who's likely already grinding his teeth down with worry about his pet... and I say this with full knowledge of the irony.

ceduke
01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
He was told to go to the vet. He chose to ignore that advice and push a giant foreign body down his pet's gut. As a vet tech and a pet owner, I find that appalling.

Weren't you recently sending new members nasty PMs about how they chose to title their threads? Now you're telling me not to be mean to someone who probably just killed their snake by not following advice given. Huh.

Shiari
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
However, typically when an animal has something stuck in its throat, you don't try to get it farther down the animal. :/ There is a more than decent chance, from the apparent size of that foreign body that it can cause an impaction, which is fatal unless surgically removed. If the object had been left alone, a vet could have potentially sedated the snake, and removed it without invasive surgery.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
He was told to go to the vet. He chose to ignore that advice and push a giant foreign body down his pet's gut. As a vet tech and a pet owner, I find that appalling.

Weren't you recently sending new members nasty PMs about how they chose to title their threads? Now you're telling me not to be mean to someone who probably just killed their snake by not following advice given. Huh.
A: So do I, but as a vet tech, would you really rather he freeze his snake than get it vet action because of a mistake? A really stupid, life threatening mistake, but still.
B: You mean recently like in November of last year? Yeah ok. I'm not going to get into whatever drama you want to start.

It's worth noting that according to his profile he's still online, rather than getting to a vet.

Shiari
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
However, if he is NOT going to take his snake to a vet.... impactions are a bad way to die...

ceduke
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
A: So do I, but as a vet tech, would you really rather he freeze his snake than get it vet action because of a mistake?

I would rather see the snake euthanized than die of an impaction or a ruptured intestine. If he's going to take the snake and have the foreign body removed, great. If not, it is my opinion that euthanasia is more humane than death by impaction.

wade
01-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I think you guys are over reacting a bit. If the snake has swallowed the mouse, lets give it a few days to see if there is a problem before we run to the emergency room. It may very well pass on it's own.

VickyChaiTea
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
And THAT is why you don't feed in the viv.

You had better hope it passes, if it doesn't then you HAVE to take the snake to a vet. I would take it anyway, just to be safe. You made a bad decision feeding her, please, if this happens again just take her to a vet right away or try to make her regurgitate it.

Personally, I don't feel sorry for you, it's widely known that feeding the viv can lead to this sort of thing. You made a mistake, and now you and your snake have to pay.

Please just take what you've learned from this experience and apply it in your future.

medusacoils
01-25-2010, 12:44 AM
I agree that the OP didn't make the best decision in this case, but c'mon. Do we really need to rub salt on this wound? Lets take it easy and try to help this poor soul out.

Thanks

Wayne

ceduke
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I agree that the OP didn't make the best decision in this case, but c'mon. Do we really need to rub salt on this wound? Lets take it easy and try to help this poor soul out.

You're right. I apologize for overreacting. OP, I do still feel that your snake should see a vet. It's possible this thing may pass, or it may need to be removed. Either way, I'd rather get a professional opinion if it were my animal.

In the future, putting the food on a paper plate in the tank will prevent bedding from being eaten.

Susielea
01-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Thanks

Wayne

Yay, someone with a bit of civility, that's definitely been lacking around here just lately! ;)

If you people want to read back through the thread, there was advice given that said to try and line it up so that it might pass and that advice was given by someone who has been dealing with snakes a lot longer than any of us combined, I should imagine!

I think it may or may not pass, I had a corn come to me kept previously on similar bedding, who passed a huge (what I thought was huge for the snakes size) piece of substrate in it's first toilet, that corn is doing very well and I have not had a single problem with it.

To the original poster, I would suggest keeping a very close eye on it, if there is any reason that you feel concerned, (you know your snake better than any of us) then a vet visit will be a wise decision.

I wish you good luck!

medusacoils
01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Another thing you can try is giving it baths, especially if you notice the snake beginning to poop. The water getting into the cloaca, may help move the object along. I'm going to think that you should see a bump appear right before the vent, right before she poops. You may also try a little Vaseline or KY jelly. Anything to lube up that opening. That's assuming it makes it that far.

If you have a reptile vet in the area, I would give them a ring in the morning and see what they suggest. They may have you bring her in, only if a problem arises. That, I wouldn't wait on. Make that call.

Wayne

Amun
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
So what would a vet do in this case? I mean there is no way to pull it out. So do they operate?

And here I was going to post that the OP should get a long pair of tweezers, and some vaseline... I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it got in there. I mean it had to go in AFTER the mouse... crazy...

VickyChaiTea
01-25-2010, 01:14 AM
It would have to be operated on now, if it doesn't pass.

Susielea
01-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Another thing you can try is giving it baths, especially if you notice the snake beginning to poop. The water getting into the cloaca, may help move the object along. I'm going to think that you should see a bump appear right before the vent, right before she poops. You may also try a little Vaseline or KY jelly. Anything to lube up that opening. That's assuming it makes it that far.

If you have a reptile vet in the area, I would give them a ring in the morning and see what they suggest. They may have you bring her in, only if a problem arises. That, I wouldn't wait on. Make that call.

Wayne

Good thinking and I really should have added that last part myself, thank you Wayne!

medusacoils
01-25-2010, 01:17 AM
It would have to be operated on now, if it doesn't pass.

That's assuming that the snake needs surgery. It could pass it on it's own. It's hard to say at this point what is going to happen.

Wayne

VickyChaiTea
01-25-2010, 01:18 AM
It's so big and the snake is so small... I highly doubt it'll pass on it's own. Especially since it won't be digested much if at ALL.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I seriously doubt it'll pass by itself. Like I said, Mouse pooped a perfect, intact piece of aspen when I fed her in-tank, and that was considerably smaller and a more pliable shape than this. Vet would be the only option for me.

wade
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I might point out that not one single person here knows what it is that the snake swallowed. It may have been as skinny as a tooth pick. It may or may not pass through the system. I can tell you for a fact if you rush it to the vet he will say to wait a week or two and see what happens. If an impaction occurs we will then do what is necessary to resolve that. Until then there is nothing to do. You are all making a very big deal out of something that is not a big deal.

We all make mistakes and we learn. None of us got involved with snakes knowing everything. The OP has learned a good lesson and that is great. Good for you. If you aren’t totally bummed by the responses you have gotten here are still reading all the good advice. Of course if we have driven you away with all of our preaching then I guess we can’t help you any further.

Aislin
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to say good luck. Hope it passes without issue.

Asbit
01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I would just like to agree with Wade here and state what should be the obvious, this forum is supposed to be a place where people can come and ask for help and advice without the fear of being berated, belittled and made out to be terrible horrible stupid people.

Just because a person knows something(or feels they know something) and to them it seems logical and obvious, does not mean that everyone knows that same information! All people make mistakes, and the fact that people come here and ask for help should be enough to show that they have a desire to learn and correct their mistakes so they do not happen again.

We ALL love our snakes and snakes in general here BUT that does not give us the right to act as though we are superior and treat others so unkindly, if the roles were reversed how would it make "you"(not referring to one specific person here) feel?

diamondlil
01-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I might point out that not one single person here knows what it is that the snake swallowed. It may have been as skinny as a tooth pick. It may or may not pass through the system. I can tell you for a fact if you rush it to the vet he will say to wait a week or two and see what happens. If an impaction occurs we will then do what is necessary to resolve that. Until then there is nothing to do. You are all making a very big deal out of something that is not a big deal.

We all make mistakes and we learn. None of us got involved with snakes knowing everything. The OP has learned a good lesson and that is great. Good for you. If you aren’t totally bummed by the responses you have gotten here are still reading all the good advice. Of course if we have driven you away with all of our preaching then I guess we can’t help you any further.
I owe you rep, Wade. No-one can learn easily if they are belittled and chastised for asking questions and making mistakes. They will either see the insults and leave the forum or try to defend themselves. Errorless learning isn't often an option in real life situations. None of us on here are perfect beings who never had to ask for help or made mistakes in our lives!

Arpolis
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and even to you all that may have been a little "harsh", I know that all of us here are passionate about snakes and we all take those passions one way or another. When I moved the obstruction; which was done VERY gingerly, it moved with much ease and when righted in line with her body it was un noticeable at that point. I think if it didn't go sideways I may have never known she swallowed it. I called the vet this morning and they said from my description of the snakes weight, age and size of the obstruction we should wait till she goes through a week or so to see if it passes. The vet gave the same advise as some of you all here in just watching the vent area to see how that looks and to make sure no lumps form. If any do form rush to their location as soon as possible. Also let her swim in a tub of warm watter for about 10 - 20 min in about a day or so and that may entice her to drink more watter during that time and help the bark pass more easily. But until any obvious signs happen he said all we can do is wait for the moment and hope for the best. On the side note I think this has been a big learning experience and I welcome every bit of knowledge I can get. I have barely been owning snakes for about 11 months now and I have been on this sight almost every day of that time learning as much as I can. Regardless of what happens I will take what I can from this and provide even better care for my snakes in the future.

ArpeggioAngel
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for understanding and taking some of the reactions with a grain of salt. You are right that people here are passionate about their animals and sometimes that passion gets the better of them I think (I know it has with me a few times!).

One thing I would definately suggest is feeding outside the viv from now on. Even putting in a paper plate does not fully remove the risk of injesting another piece of bark. I have seen snakes with paper plates pull the mice off of them into the bedding.

wstphal
01-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for understanding and taking some of the reactions with a grain of salt. You are right that people here are passionate about their animals and sometimes that passion gets the better of them I think (I know it has with me a few times!).

One thing I would definately suggest is feeding outside the viv from now on. Even putting in a paper plate does not fully remove the risk of injesting another piece of bark. I have seen snakes with paper plates pull the mice off of them into the bedding.

Even in my limited experience, I have to agree with this one. Humphrey rolls around strangling the nonexistent life out of the f/t mouse. If there was a way to get bedding on the mouse, Humphrey would find it!

Arpolis
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Even in my limited experience, I have to agree with this one. Humphrey rolls around strangling the nonexistent life out of the f/t mouse. If there was a way to get bedding on the mouse, Humphrey would find it!

Thats what I think Dalek would do with her mice if I would just used a paper plate. So I do have large plastic tubs I will put plenty of holes into and try feeding in that. I will just have to talk my wife into putting her yarn some where ells lol.

wade
01-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I am really glad you are still here. Please don't be afraid to ask more questions. We will do a better job next time. Probably.

wstphal
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Thats what I think Dalek would do with her mice if I would just used a paper plate. So I do have large plastic tubs I will put plenty of holes into and try feeding in that. I will just have to talk my wife into putting her yarn some where ells lol.

Plastic tubs are cheap. Offer to upgrade your wife's yarn tub & then you can have her old one as a feeding tub!

LBoz
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
He's pretty small, so even one of those cheap ziplock containers with a few holes poked in the top will work. For my little ones, I didn't even use the top, I just kept them next to me while I cleaned their vivs, and then when they were done gently placed them back in the viv.

One thing I'd like to comment on is the daily bathing your vet recommended. I'd give your guy at least 24 hours to digest before doing this. The last thing you want is a regurg, especially with a potentially sharp piece of bedding in his belly. ;)

medusacoils
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with Wade. I'm glad you didn't get scared off. I'm really pleased that you chose to consult a vet regarding this. It's actually a real learning experience for some of us who haven't dealt with that sort of thing. I have only read about it and what could happen.

I really hope you don't think I was being too harsh. I was only trying to advise to the best of my limited ability. Please keep us posted and good luck!

Wayne

Arpolis
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
One thing I'd like to comment on is the daily bathing your vet recommended. I'd give your guy at least 24 hours to digest before doing this. The last thing you want is a regurg, especially with a potentially sharp piece of bedding in his belly. ;)

Not to correct you but the vet said to give her the bath in a day or so later than today. So you are exactly right in that aspect. Since there is food in the belly I wouldn't think of stressin her out to much now.

wade
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
So what you are saying is the she was correct in her incorrect assumption? Lori is like that.

LBoz
01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
LMAO! So sorry....that's what I get for skimming!

Carry on....

8292tom
01-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Glad to see you're still with us. You're here to learn, as are most of us. You've done the right thing calling a vet. Follow his recomendations and hopefully all will be well.

Arpolis
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I gave Dalek a bath as the vet suggested today. She shed late last night or early this morning and the vet said it was still cool to give her that bath today as long as a wait till the afternoon or evening. She seems in high spirits just calm but still active. Here are some pics in the tub and then back in her tank.

wade
01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
She looks healthy and happy. I'm still hoping for a really satisfying poop.

Asbit
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I second Wade's comment!!! I'll just add that I think she is beautiful!!

LBoz
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
What a pretty girl!! Aside from the feeding, which as a new keeper I can't and would never hold that against you, I think you did the best possible thing. You contacted a vet, kept a cool head, didn't panic and you're following the vet's instructions. I think if inernal injuries had occured, it would be apparent by this point. Consider this a "hands on" experience...one in which you won't forget. It's easy for those without such experience to yell FIRE, but in my book you get major props for your actons. :)
To clarify, I have zero "hands on" experience with a sick or injured snake. I'll gladly knock on wood to keep it that way!

medusacoils
01-26-2010, 09:49 PM
When she does poo, if "everything" comes out okay, you should dry it out and save it. That way, in a few years, you could look back and laugh at all this. ;)

Wayne

Arpolis
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Well it has been 4 days and Dalek is still in good spirits. I did find in one corner of the cage where it looks like some fresh poop & a piece of wood darker and smoother than the rest around it. This piece of bark almost had a shine on one side so it may be the piece I have been looking for. I wood suggest for anyone with this issue in the future to keep your snake in a tub with paper towel substrate or remove the substrate in the cage because this seems difficult to truly spot what we are looking for lol. So here is a pic of the piece of bark on top of a dime.

wade
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Going back and looking at the first picture that piece of bark could have been it. I hope so.

Asbit
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh geez are we loosing our touch or what...sounds like maybe we forgot to tell you to put her in a hospital environment( clean viv with paper towel for substrate) so that you could tell if she pooped it out.

Here is hoping that is the piece. You could still change her viv to hospital environment so that you can watch to see if the piece did any damage, if that is the piece. You will be able to monitor if there is any blood in her stool and how often she is going. Maybe for a week or two just to make sure that seems to have been the piece.

Good luck and again here's hoping it is the piece and it came out damage free.

Arpolis
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh geez are we loosing our touch or what...sounds like maybe we forgot to tell you to put her in a hospital environment( clean viv with paper towel for substrate) so that you could tell if she pooped it out.

Here is hoping that is the piece. You could still change her viv to hospital environment so that you can watch to see if the piece did any damage, if that is the piece. You will be able to monitor if there is any blood in her stool and how often she is going. Maybe for a week or two just to make sure that seems to have been the piece.

Good luck and again here's hoping it is the piece and it came out damage free.

I think I am going to take your advise here. I'll move her over in a bit. Now her normal feeding day is on Tuesdays. When would any of you think would be a good time to start feed again?

Asbit
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Just change her substrate tonight if you have time or tomorrow and then by Tues she will have had time to adjust to your changes in her viv, so go ahead and feed her, that is my opinion.

Outcast
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I am going to agree with Wade on this one, that looks like it could be the bark. I'm glad that she is doing well, and that you are following the advice of the knowledgeable ones here on the forums.

Aislin
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I hope that was the bark...glad to see things are likely to have improved.

wade
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
You fed her right after the bark incident. If she continues to act normally and there is no problems apparent I would probably feed her a small meal in a week. If she is pooping normal, I'd just go back to normal feeding.

Arpolis
01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
OK I cleaned out a nice plastic container and transformed it into Dalek's new home for a bit to see if I can watch her poops more closely. It is being heated with two 1 - 5 gallon heat mats on a rheostat controler on only one side of the container. Let me know if you think any changes need to be made.

Asbit
01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Looks like it should be ok. Be warned that sometimes with tubs you have to add extra ventilation holes if the tub starts to fog up and condensation collects on the sides.

RosieReal
01-29-2010, 07:02 AM
I have barely been owning snakes for about 11 months now and I have been on this sight almost every day of that time learning as much as I can. Regardless of what happens I will take what I can from this and provide even better care for my snakes in the future.

You're doing all the right things. Learning all you can, reading all you can, knowing who to be in touch with and learning from your mistakes. No one could ask for more. I hope you've already been welcomed somewhere that I didn't see, but if not...welcome! I hope you stay and enjoy your time here. :)

As you said, theres lots of passion here, sometimes that fire comes out a little strong. Glad you were able to get through it, everyone here give's as good as they get! :) it makes for some pretty lively debates...which can be fun too. I hope your little one does fine (although its sounds quite positive now) and continue's to thrive in your care.

All of that being said, maybe give some thought to feeding outside the viv? I didn't think Yoshi (my amel boy) would take to it, but he eats like a champ every time. Its a simple thing, to save some worry.

covato78
01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Great Job seems like you may be over the hump !

SquamishSerpents
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
When she does poo, if "everything" comes out okay, you should dry it out and save it. That way, in a few years, you could look back and laugh at all this. ;)

Wayne

YEAAAAAH!! put it in a scrapbook!

glad to see your snakey is doing okay, and glad to see you're learning things from the forums! i think you did all the right things. welcome, welcome!

wstphal
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
That tub looks like a nice hospital room for Dalek. In fact, it looks like pretty good corn snake housing, period! So glad Dalek looks OK, and yeah, that piece sure could be the swallowed substrate, let's hope so! BTW, are you a Dr Who fan?

Edit: The only reason I didn't have this problem was dumb luck followed by reading about not feeding in the viv here! I lucked out because I thought Humphrey would not like damp mice so I dried them very well before offering them. The way H attacks them, if they were damp, H would have swallowed substrate stuck to them! So don't feel bad. As long as Dalek comes thru this OK, it's just a learning experience.

RosieReal
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
are you a Dr Who fan?

lol...I am...and love the name.

EXTERMINATE THE DOCTOR!!! (my best dalek impression..lol...its better in person)

Arpolis
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
That tub looks like a nice hospital room for Dalek. In fact, it looks like pretty good corn snake housing, period! So glad Dalek looks OK, and yeah, that piece sure could be the swallowed substrate, let's hope so! BTW, are you a Dr Who fan?

Edit: The only reason I didn't have this problem was dumb luck followed by reading about not feeding in the viv here! I lucked out because I thought Humphrey would not like damp mice so I dried them very well before offering them. The way H attacks them, if they were damp, H would have swallowed substrate stuck to them! So don't feel bad. As long as Dalek comes thru this OK, it's just a learning experience.
:laugh01:

lmao yes! I have seen all the Doctor Who shows with the last two doctors with david tenat as my favorite. I even have another amel named Gallefrey.

Arpolis
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
lol...I am...and love the name.

EXTERMINATE THE DOCTOR!!! (my best dalek impression..lol...its better in person)

Daleks full name is Dalek Thay from one of the only 4 named Daleks in the cult of scarow. Seen in the "Daleks in Manhatten" episode.

Aislin
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Dr. Who is one of the best shows ever! I wanted to comment on how much I like Dalek's but then didn't....I know...I'm just lazy most days.

I adore David Tennant and am sorry he is leaving the show but I also look forward to seeing the new actor (I can't recall his name right now) and what he will bring to The Doctor.

Oh and Donna was the best companion ever!

Are you also a Torchwood fan?

Lovin2act
01-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks like it should be ok. Be warned that sometimes with tubs you have to add extra ventilation holes if the tub starts to fog up and condensation collects on the sides.

Is that a serious bad thing? I mean apart from the obvious that the snake needs air to breathe lol! I have that happen in small amounts (just small spots of condensation here and there) during the night and then it clears back up during the days. I kinda thought it was nice for added humidity and less fifty piece dry sheds lol!

wade
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM
You know how some people are just unable to yes that looks good. They have to add some problem like meteor showers that could possibly happen but probably won’t. The tub that is pictured above has plenty of ventilation, much more than any of mine. If your substrate is not damp and the condensation is not a constant thing it is not a problem.

Lovin2act
01-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Ok coolness, just making sure there wasn't some major known across the board issue that the average keeper wouldn't know about in that regard :spinner:

Arpolis
02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
YaaaaaY!!!!!

Ok to re-cap a little, on the 24th if I remember right we had the scare of my snake getting the horrible piece of bark down the gullet. That day she had a small pinky mouse after the piece of bark was aligned with the throat. "Dont do that....Note taken!". After that she had Two other Small pinkies one on the 31st and another on 2/2. During all that I only had one OK sized poop and that is where I think I found the Piece of bark which is suspected as the culprit. After that poop Dalek had not really pooped since then. That was scaring me, but she was not looking sick through this. There was one spot that could have been pee one day but could have been a splash from the water bowel. I took Dalek to my local pet shop where the snake lady that owns the place there has 15+ years of snake owning experience and she checked her out and did not see any signs of impaction or dibree in the belly. She suggested with going on full feed which corresponds with other thoughts from yall fine folk. We tried a nice sized Pinky rat on 02/09, so as to have any hair clog things up. Here is the result two days later:

Asbit
02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the nice poopie, looks like your and everyone else's suspicions were correct and that was the piece of bark in question. As well it looks like your snakie should be just fine.

diamondlil
02-12-2010, 02:55 AM
:dancer::dancer::dancer:<- Happy poop dance!

Arpolis
02-12-2010, 07:28 AM
lol Yay for happy poop dance. :roflmao:

Arpolis
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I know threads like these come and go and we wounder how the snake actually did. I just wanted to share that Dalek the amel which had so much trouble is....... Fine! :dancer:
I was actually weighing my snakes today to better align their food weights according to the Munson plan and Dalek is my heaviest and most aggressive feeder at 87g and only a yearling. My other 2009 yearlings range from 58g - 69g.

Thanks again for every ones support and suggestions through this little gal's tough time.

Kalista
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the update!

Naagas
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Yay!
Sometimes I am surprised at how hardy the snakes can be!

wax32
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for telling how it ended! :D

Asbit
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice to have the update.