PDA

View Full Version : 3rd day regurge?

3rd day regurge?

loyalsissaly84
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
well today is the third day from the last feed of my snakes, but for some reason i just saw my ultramel regurge wat ever was not digested, i don't think its normal, do i have to worry alot about this? Is there something i can do? why did this happen?

BloodyBaroness
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Wait at least 10 before feeding again for starters.

Then start with a small meal, half a pinkie or just the head.

Below is the regurge procedure from Kathy Love.

1. From the day of the regurge, wait 10 days before offering food again. During this time, add NutriBac to the water. I generally pull the water for 2-3 days to ensure that the snake will drink the altered water when it is offered. I make sure to watch the snake drink (I 'show' him/her the water bowl when placing it in the cage, they generally drink right away) and leave the water in for 1-2 days before repeating the cycle of withholding and offering NutriBac water. Keep in mind that the snake should be handled as little as possible during this time.

2. 10 days after the regurge, offer the snake a pinky head. You can save the body for future feedings. Repeat the pinky head feeding for 3-4 feedings (once a week) before increasing the meal size.

3. Increase meal size to the pinky bodies that you fed the heads off of before. Again, once a week for 3-4 feedings. All meals should be dusted with Nutribac at this point, and from here on out for at least 6 months. If the snake is okay with eating the NutriBac dusted meals, then adding NutriBac to the water can be discontinued (and water then left with the snake at all times, of course).

4. For the next 4-5 feedings, feed small pinkies, once a week. The pinkies should be slit along the back two or three times to help with digestion.

5. If the snake has kept down all meals prior to this point (about 12-14 weeks after the regurge), the meal size can be increased to a large pinkie. Feed the large pinkies for another month, with meals once a week.

6. At this point, if you'd like to increase feeding frequency to once every 5 days, and the snake has not had a repeat regurge, I would feel comfortable doing so. Keep the size of the meal at large pinkies, every 5 days, for another 4-6 weeks. Remember to continue with NutriBac on the food and also slit the backs of the pinkies.

7. Now, the prey size can be increased to peach fuzzies or very small fuzzies, which is probably what he was eating prior to the regurge issues. Keep him at this size prey for at least 2 months before moving him up to prey that is 'normal' (1.5x the girth of the snake) for his size. Again, prey should be slit and dusted with NutriBac, which is a process that should continue for at least 6 months (9-12 months would be better) after the regurge.

BloodyBaroness
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
These are some places to get Nutribac. You may not need it right away but it's handy to know where to find it if your snake regurges again.

http://www.reptileuv.com/nutribac-df-probiotic-for-reptiles.php

http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20TOOLS%20PRODUCTS%20herp%20Cornutopia%20corn%20s nakes%20cornsnakes.htm

loyalsissaly84
01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
These are some places to get Nutribac. You may not need it right away but it's handy to know where to find it if your snake regurges again.

http://www.reptileuv.com/nutribac-df-probiotic-for-reptiles.php

http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20TOOLS%20PRODUCTS%20herp%20Cornutopia%20corn%20s nakes%20cornsnakes.htm

thank you will definitly order one of those this week

BloodyBaroness
01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
No problem. It's not terribly expensive and really good to have on hand just in case.

Asbit
01-28-2010, 10:17 PM
NutriBac really helps them to get their gut flora balanced again. Just make sure you follow the protocol, because regurges can lead to more regurges which can eventually lead to death if not stopped.

crackerhead
01-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Check your temps. Either too high or too low can cause animals to regurge days after a meal as opposed to the next day. Also could your corn be in a shed that you missed? I have several babies this year that will eat regardless of shed and then puke when they are ready to actually do the shedding. It's all good once you know that is the problem. Now I just watch those guys more closely for signs of shed and I don't feed them until after.
Terri

loyalsissaly84
01-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Check your temps. Either too high or too low can cause animals to regurge days after a meal as opposed to the next day. Also could your corn be in a shed that you missed? I have several babies this year that will eat regardless of shed and then puke when they are ready to actually do the shedding. It's all good once you know that is the problem. Now I just watch those guys more closely for signs of shed and I don't feed them until after.
Terri

i did have electrical problems this morning for a few hours and it was cold and snowing, so my room was freezing. I hope that's the case and nothing to serious. But just in case i'll try to do everything to avoid a regurge again. thank you.

loyalsissaly84
01-28-2010, 11:56 PM
NutriBac really helps them to get their gut flora balanced again. Just make sure you follow the protocol, because regurges can lead to more regurges which can eventually lead to death if not stopped.

Hopefully this works and as terri said maybe it was a temp change, but will try anything to stop this situation before it gets worse. But thank you for the advice.

Asbit
01-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Another thing to consider as the cause of the regurge is the pinkie.

When you warmed it could you have possibly warmed it so much that you cooked it? I did this once by accident and caused one of my little guys to regurge. I did not clue in right away that I had started to cook the pinkie, but after I gave it to him and he was eating it I noticed how the skin looked cooked. Then I thought "oh crap, I sure hope that was not cooked and he does ok with it".

Unfortunately, it was and he did not. I know for sure that was the problem because he was on two pinks and he digested the first and pooped just fine but the second one he regurged at day 5!

So just something to consider and be aware of, you want to warm the pinkies very warm but be sure not to start to cook them or cook them completely as they can not digest them cooked.

loyalsissaly84
01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Another thing to consider as the cause of the regurge is the pinkie.

When you warmed it could you have possibly warmed it so much that you cooked it? I did this once by accident and caused one of my little guys to regurge. I did not clue in right away that I had started to cook the pinkie, but after I gave it to him and he was eating it I noticed how the skin looked cooked. Then I thought "oh crap, I sure hope that was not cooked and he does ok with it".

Unfortunately, it was and he did not. I know for sure that was the problem because he was on two pinks and he digested the first and pooped just fine but the second one he regurged at day 5!

So just something to consider and be aware of, you want to warm the pinkies very warm but be sure not to start to cook them or cook them completely as they can not digest them cooked.

wow, thank you so much,these are things that i should consider cause i never thought i could cook the pinkies, but your right, when u put like steak out to melt and the waters to warm it cooks a little. I didn't realize or think i was cooking the pinks or even that could get it sick, love this site, keeps me from panicking... lol!