PDA

View Full Version : my first regurge

my first regurge

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I have had this snake since new year's eve. He has eaten f/t once 3 days after I got him and then wouldn't take anything f/t. I tried once a week, then when he shed I thought he would eat. I tried to wait him out on f/t, but gave in last week. I fed him to very small live pinkies and today I think it's a regurge, 1 pinkie. I fed him a week ago. His temp is 84 on the hot side, it's 72 on cool. He is on aspen and normally only sits on top in his hide. I have studied the regurge protocol, but I'm wondering why it took him a week to do it. He was a bit stressed yesterday because I was handling him, he is a nasty little corn and I am trying to get him tamed down. I only handle him for about 15 minutes or until he really calms down, then I put him back. He was doing well until yesterday and he thought he was a rattlesnake.

thanks,
Steph

Nanci
01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Are you positive it's a regurge? Does it smell horrible? Was it a pinky brown, not black and white? Did you see _any_ white near it? A week is a long time. Is he going blue? Lots of snakes refuse, or regurge if fed, while blue. If you've had him nearly a month, he ought to be going to shed soon, if he hasn't done that yet in your care.

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
He shed 3 weeks ago. With it being a week, I thought it was too long too. It definatley isn't poo. It is pink, but I can't really tell what it is. Actually my dog alerted me to it. She was sniffing around his tank and she never does that, so I had to investigate.

Nanci
01-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, sounds like a regurge. Could have been brought on by double pinks. Or being blue. How much does your snake weigh?

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
He is 16g. I'm worried about how I will get him to eat parts of pinkies since I can't get him to eat f/t.

Teddy Roosevelt
01-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Let's hope it's your last, too. Without knowing your snake's weight, I'm gonna guess he was a bit small for double pinks yet. Follow regurged protocol and hive him a half pink or just a head next feeding (10 days from now). Try shaking it around and teasing him a bit if he wants it "live".

Nanci
01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Did he eat FT before you got him? If he's a hateling, will he strike at what you offer, and you can just pop a pinky head in his mouth? Was he refusing because he is going blue, and you didn't know? You can wait him out for a while, and if worst comes to worst, the meal he regurged was double pinks, if you take him back to a single brand new "ruby" that might be small enough. I'd still do several tries, several days apart, with a pinky head. He's going to be nice and hungry after waiting 8-10 days.

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't think he's in blue yet. His eyes are still pretty clear. I waited him out for 2 weeks after her shed and still wouldn't take f/t. The pet store where I got him said he was on f/t. He took one when I first got him tho'. Is he just too stressed out at my house? He has 2 hides, warm side, cooler side, water dish. I am going to split a 55 for the 2 corns. Maybe I should put him in a bin instead. Maybe he would feel more secure.
Thanks for the help.

diamondlil
01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I know you want to tame him down, but personally I'd lay off handling as much as possible until he's over this regurge and grows a bit. If he's really stressed then it won't help him grow and thrive, and most baby corns grow out of the 'Hellllllllllllllp I'm gonna get eaten' phase if the only consequence of being handled whilst small is a gentle trip to their feeding tub.

Nanci
01-29-2010, 08:27 PM
What is he in now? I might keep him in something the size of a fiv eor ten gallon, till he gets sorted out. I _do_ keep some little babies in 20's, but if you're having troubles, I'd minimize the stimulation he gets, provide a very secure environment, and not handle at all.

I bet you can get him to strike feed out of your fingers.

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 08:29 PM
He's in a 15. I won't handle him for 10 days until I try to feed again, and will put him in a feeding tub then. I will cover the front of his tank maybe that will give him some more security.
thanks again for all your help.

diamondlil
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Good luck with your little one!

Nanci
01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd try feeding him in a tiny deli cup. AND I'd be tubing Nutribac into him, or syringing it in. At the very least, putting it in his water and later, on his pinks.

groomingdiva
01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok, I will order some of that now.

groomingdiva
01-31-2010, 09:14 AM
I want to thank you all for your help. I have put newspaper around his tank, and last night as I was checking on everyone, he was out wandering around. It's the first time that has happened, at least that I have seen. He did look up at me and then went in his hide, but I do think closing him off a little has helped.