PDA

View Full Version : My snake has a lump

My snake has a lump

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 01:29 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is. went to feed my male snow corn today and noticed a lump in the middle of his body. has always ate fine and pooed fine. Ate perfectly today two pinkies.
just would like some feedback. :confused:
Thanks, HOSS

pinatamonkey
12-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Hmm. When did he last eat? (I mean before you fed him today :D )

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 01:51 AM
He ate last saturday 2 pinkies.

KristyS
12-26-2003, 02:01 AM
What kind of Substrate are you useing is there any way he could have ingested any?

Kristy

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 02:02 AM
I use aspen shavings they are fairly big pieces so dont think that is possible and I never feed him in his cage.
HOSS

KristyS
12-26-2003, 02:05 AM
:confused:

Hmm... Well, I used to use aspen but that's the only thing I can think of that could be the cause of that lump. He would have of had to take in quite a mouthful... what does the lump feel like? hard, soft.

He's and 03 from what I'm guessing?

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 02:08 AM
The lump itself is soft. Yes he is an '03. I dont think it is bothering him he ate a pinkie as soon as I put in his feed box.

KristyS
12-26-2003, 02:09 AM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4661&highlight=Swollen

I just found this.. let's hope this isn't the case
It's a thread on Twisted guts, take a look I'll keep looking

CornCrazy
12-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Ummm...sometimes mine look like that if they drink a bunch of water. I would say that as long as he eats, drinks, poops, and acts normally, do not worry. Keep a close eye on him to see if it goes down, and then if it reoccurs. If he ever seems to not be acting normally and if it reoccurs often, then you may want to seek veterinary help.

rachel132002
12-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Dunno what use this is but he seems a light morph and with my candycane if you hold her near light you can see inside her belly i.e. poo, spleen etc as dark patches so i dunno if you can see anything there that might give a clue?

Rach

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 04:54 PM
UPDATE
I would like to thank everyone for their help.

So far he is doing fine ate yesterday very active today
I put him in quarantine on paper towels to watch fecal matter.
So I will have to wait and see.
HOSS

hosstheman
12-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Here is some fecal matter from my snow corn looks fairly normal to me. I would like some opinions please. The lump appears to be gone for now.
Thanks HOSS

DocJess
01-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I was just wondering, Hoss, how this little one is doing? Is he still lumpy?

hosstheman
01-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for asking he was eating normally until this saturday then he regurged his food the lump comes and goes right now its seems to be gone. So I will try to feed him in a few days and continue to watch him.

Taceas
01-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Ok, I've been following this thread for a while. And to me it sounds like gas buildup in the gut.

Does it seem to develop more so after he's eaten or drank? I've seen dogs and cats with something similar, where they swallow air while eating or drinking. And in some cases, it's a bacterial problem in the gut where one or more of the natural fauna is imbalanced and causes problems. Which might also explain the regurging as well.

The poo to me looks normal as far as I can tell from a picture. But the only way to be sure would be to get a fecal test done on it. If you can get a picture of the poo, you should be able to post a picture of this "lump" when it's visible.

Waiting to see if it'll pass or get better is sometimes the wrong thing to do, especially in a reptile. If the regurging keeps up that can spell death pretty quickly for a young snake. It takes energy to vomit and stresses the snake even more. I had a young snow corn that regurged every meal offered and it died after 2 months. No cause was ever found in the necropsy.

I'm not trying to insist you get something checked out, just suggesting. Best of luck to you and the little one.

Matt L
01-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Hoss,
This might warrant a trip to your local herp vet. I think you may be dealing with to much fauna in the gut.(credit to Taceas) I have had a problem with the same symptoms and treated the animal with Flagyl. It's been 8 days and now the lump is gone and the lower gut is a bit swollen. I am now awaiting a poo! Please don't except this as a diagnosis, and do not attempt any medication unless you have an experienced herpers or vets support. I would like to here a follow up on your animal.

Good Luck!

Matt L.

hosstheman
01-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Update

Sorry to say this little guy is no longer with us. He had gotten worse not keeping any food down fecies was very bad looking.
I had him looked at and there was nothing we could do. So he is gone. He will be missed his colors were really starting to brighten.

HOSS

DocJess
01-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Sorry to hear he didn't make it, at least you gave him a fighting chance.

niki
04-16-2004, 06:47 PM
i know how you feel most my hatchlings where ok but 4 died their mummies expecting again i feel for you it really hurts.

MegF.
04-16-2004, 07:57 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your snake. It's hard to believe how attached we become to these critters.