PDA

View Full Version : Why won't it eat?

Why won't it eat?

GaryD
12-26-2003, 03:18 PM
i just got a corn snake today but my mum had had it for about a week before i got it at x-mas and he has to be fed every once Friday byt the pet shop man said to feed him pinkies (little mice) and he was suposed to get fed today but he wont take it, do you think he is sick or something?

hosstheman
12-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum Gary
Congratulations on your new snake
Just be calm. Lets go over some things. How old is the snake?
Where and how was he kept before you got him.(ie. what type of cage and what was the temp). He maybe a little nervous if you have been handling him alot or if you changed cages suddenly. there is nothing in stone that says your snake will eat every week
some of mine have went 2 or 3 weeks without eating. maybe he is going into shed. could be alot of things that doesn't mean he is sick. also if you can post some pics for us to see.
HOSS

Neumann
12-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Greetings,

Corns and other snakes can go weeks without food so don't worry that your new friend is going to starve.

Stress is the leading cause for an otherwise healthy Corn not to eat. If you have a viv setup with a thermal gradient ranging from roughly 70-85 deg. F., some water and a couple of hides, then place your new snake in there and give him 3-5 days undisturbed (no handling). This will give him a chance to acclimate. Next, offer him the smallest pinky you can get your hands on. You might want to place him and the pinky in a small box with air holes for an hour with the pinky so he can quietly enjoy his meal. The temp of the room should be around 70 deg. F.

Assuming he takes the pinky, place him back in the viv and leave him alone for a couple of days or until he defecates. After that try handling your Corn for 5 minutes a day for the first week and 10 for the second. Increase handling over time.

Good luck and have fun! Corns are wonderful animals.

Cheers,
Jason

Mekasato2
01-08-2004, 05:09 PM
if he wont eat u cant cut the pinky open and squeeze a little blood out, this will entice the snake to eat it