PDA

View Full Version : Lenses pulling in red in photo?

Lenses pulling in red in photo?

TripleMoonsExotic
02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Generally photography and me get a long just fine. I decided in December to treat myself and purchased a set of close-up and macro lenses to fiddle around with. Recently I've been having problems where photos are seem to be pulling a red hue. Never really had this issue until I started using the lenses (or maybe I just never noticed it).

For example...

In this photo the Granite seems to have a red tinge to him. While I guess that a bit of red does show through in life, not this much.

This photo shows a more accurate representation of the color in these hatchlings. To get this I edited the Gamma Correction in the Exposure settings of Photoshop. I hate editing photos when it comes to reptiles for sale because I have no desire to be accused of doctoring a photo nor do I want a customer to be disappointed with a purchase.

It's much more apparent when photographing red morphs...

Does anyone else have the issue? Any tips on correcting it in the camera settings or post-processing (would prefer the former)?

airenlow
02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Have you only tried the new lens with that white background? Maybe the white balance is off. I really have no idea...I'm pretty much a hack with my DSLR. Hope you get it figured out soon!

jlindp
02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Are you taking your photos in a certain setting -- such as daylight, tungsten, cloudy, etc.? I would personally try setting your camera to Auto or Daylight, maybe adjust your ISO, and step down your exposure. These seem a little overexposed to me, but I'm certainly no expert.

What kind of camera is it, may I ask?

TripleMoonsExotic
02-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Sony DSC-H7

The white balance is set every time I set my lightbox up. Other backgrounds I've tested on are blue and black backgrounds, but I can't say one way or another if there's a difference. I really hate having to reset settings for different backgrounds. :spinner:

Auto and Daylight settings create a grey instead of a crisp white background, so they are not options.

Just noticed my color mode is set to "Vivid." Betcha that's where the red problem is coming from. :rolleyes: I'm going to kick myself in the shins if that's what it is and I've been fighting with it for weeks.

Nroc
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Just noticed my color mode is set to "Vivid." Betcha that's where the red problem is coming from. :rolleyes: I'm going to kick myself in the shins if that's what it is and I've been fighting with it for weeks.

I was just going to tell you to turn down the contrast and sharpness. There was something about your photos that I didn't like, and I just figured out what it was.

Your vivid setting likely boosts the contrast while manipulating the colors a bit. I am not sure about the sharpness though. Usually when I see too much granularity (grain) it's from over sharp and too much contrast. All three of those snake photos look too grainy to me.

As far as the red is concerned, that I cannot address...again, the vivid setting maybe has something to do with that...

TripleMoonsExotic
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I think I've got this straightened out for the most part. Switching the camera to Color Mode to Normal and adding a diffuser to my flash has helped tremendously.

Now I've got to wait for all these babies to get out of shed so I can take new pictures! :rolleyes:

Jadie.Glitch
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Beautiful photos, btw. Very professional. A light box really does wonders, doesn't it? I really need to build one...

Pruddock
04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
I guess I'm not seeing it on my monitor. I haven't color balanced in a while, but it shouldn't be too far off right now.

What type of lens is it? I've never heard of a lens pulling in different hues, but I guess if the glass itself was slightly discolored you might see a problem. I'm thinking more that it may be your monitor rather than your camera lens. Either way, you should be able to use a program like lightroom or photoshop to reset your white balance and it should take care of any problems you're having.

TripleMoonsExotic
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Psst...
Read an entire thread before responding... ;)