• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

corn not feeding for two months??????

lalalots

hey this is realy about my sisters corn

it hasnt been eating for 8 weeks, when she told me it didn take its third meal i started to get worried and i took him to the vet,

she hadn much experiance with snakes not feeding, she gave it a shot of vitimans and told us to try it again in 3 days, still nothing,

since then we have been trying everything, reducing the size of the mice, leaving him in a small tub with it for the night, pricking the heads of the mice so it has a stronger smell, cutting the mice in half,

nothing has worked , it will come out and sniff the mouse then just go to its watter bole and drink, any ideas ???

she was told the snake was 6 weeks old when she got it, she now has it since last aug, i weighed it before the vets and it wass only 16g and its leanth is only 22cm

the snake has only shed twice in 6 months and they were parthal sheads skin just coming off in bits, she was told the snake was 6 weeks old when she got it, i weighed it and it wass only 16g and its leanth is only 22cm

i gave it a bath on the second shead to loosen the skin and helped him off with it, since then i got her a hydrotherm and made sure the temps were correct,

im still worried bout it the corn butmy sister isnt to worried now as she thinks since my snake was found alive after 5 month of it missing that hers will be ok to,

im thinking of taking the snake off her as we dont live in the same house and i cant moniter the snake fully

sorry bout the massive post but i just so worried she not able to take care of it properly

How often are you waiting in between feeding attempts?

How are the temps in the cage?

Is the mouse hot when you try to feed it to the snake?

If everything else hasn't worked, have you tried scenting the mouse? I heard stuff like Tuna or chicken scent can help picky eaters......

waiting a week between each feed attempt,
temps are usualy about 70- 73 0n cold and 78 -80 on hot side it a heating mat the humidaty is at bout 45%

iv tryed some tuna brine no luck,

im not in the same house as the snake i only go there once a week

should i take it of my sister to try it myself???

waiting a week between each feed attempt,
temps are usualy about 70- 73 0n cold and 78 -80 on hot side it a heating mat the humidaty is at bout 45%

iv tryed some tuna brine no luck,

im not in the same house as the snake i only go there once a week

should i take it of my sister to try it myself???

You can consider trying to feed a live pinkie. I would also boost up the temps a bit, 75 on the cool side, 85 on the warm side. I think the humidity could be raised a little too, to about 60%, since shedding has been an issue also.
There are other options you can try when feeding, such as scenting, using either an anole or quail chick. I'm not sure if you have access to ASF pinkies, but you could try that as well.
Best of luck.

asf pinkys????
no im from donegal in ireland, there is a limited suply of things for snakes,
we cant even get live mice as far as im aware of,

i think ill take the snake to my flat so i can monater it better

it was eating well but just stoped all of a sudden
im sorry thanks for al ur help guys

It probably isn't "spring fever" (mating season) if it is definitely as young as you were told.. though it would sound like it otherwise. It's ok that you can't get live mice, there are various other methods you can try.

First thing's first though, as already posted, up the temps on the warm side to around 85. If the snake has eaten well up til now I would not panic yet. You are doing the right thing by only offering food once a week, as if you offer food too often, you can condition them to refuse (little beggars).

I personally would not recommend moving the snake to your place, I understand you feel you can monitor it better but moving it would be very stressful and in the unlikely event that that snake is ill, it could make it worse. There is no need to monitor it round the clock, as long as those temps are sorted, your weekly visits should suffice with your sister looking after it in the meanwhile.

Let us know how you get on.

hey , umm i moved it this morning as my sister couldent care less about it any more, sh1t,

it even smaller now havent weighed it yet but it def less than the 16 g it was,
it has two bad scars on its back to from my sister trying to pull the shed off think some of the scales came off with it,

it and and its spine is showing

i would put up pix but the websight seems to refuse my pix,

i feel so sorry for it it hard for me to see it like this,

i changed its substrate from wood chips back to paper,

and just about to try feed it now ill try some tuna sent on a head of a pinkey

Poor thing :( in that case you have probably done the right thing by taking him home with you, I'm shocked it is losing weight so quickly.

Make sure temp on the warm side is, at the hottest place the snake can get to, about 85, and then leave it alone - I would be cautious and not try to feed yet. It needs to settle in and the stress could cause a regurge (which would be very bad news). If the snake is active, out and about, then you're probably safe to feed in 3-4 days. Good luck.

the temp on the warm side now is 84, i moved my snakes ufh under it, so it wouldn take to long to warm up,

i set up an extra hide to as she only had one and it was a bit to big for the poor thing, thanks for your help, do u think it would be better to feed it in a deli cup or its tub?>??

I've had success both ways with bad feeders, so I'd say to try a pinky head in a very small tub inside the viv. Good luck.

^^I agree but I'd also say to cover the viv with something (a shirt), or the tub it self with something so that it has nothing else to concentrate on/be scared by.

hey guys, tryed feeding it last night, i left the corn in a take away tub with a frozen thawed mouse that was dipped in tuna brine, i slit its back also,
closed the lid of the tub andput it in the warm side of the viv , left it there for 3 hours but no such luck,

still not interested, it verry thin, all the temps are correct humidaty is good and she wasn disturbed between the 3 hours

thinkin of tryin to get a live pinky in pet shop in a few days to try, but not even sure if they do live feed around donegal,

failing this is there any thing else i might try i dont want to have to start force feeding unless i absulotly have to

thanks guys you have been wonderfull so far :)

You could try leaving the snake and the f/t slit/brained pink in a deli cup (or other small secure container), cover it then leave it overnight inside the viv, so the temperature is still ok.

This often works as the snake and pink are in such close proximity, it can't be avoided. Make sure the pink is as hot as possible when it first goes in. You can also try scenting with other things before reverting to live, but I would try this first.. All the very best of luck. Let us know.

hey guys, first of all thanks so much for your tips, iv got him to eat 4 times now with no prob, he seems to like been left in the tub with a pinky for an hour or to on the warm side he eats no prob,\
but am weary if trying the normal way so i guess its tub time from now on
thanks again for all ur help

Glad to hear you are turning the little guy around. He was lucky you brought him home from the sound of it.

Back