PDA

View Full Version : Another server move on the horizon.

Another server move on the horizon.

Rich Z
12-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah, sorry about this, but this new server I am on is getting on my nerves. Graphics are REAL SLOW to download. I already have a new server set up, so I am planning on starting the move process in another day or so.

I will be doing it differently this time. I will first change the DNS pointers to point to the new server, then after 24 hours or so, I will move the sites themselves. What will happen is that the first people who have "on the ball" ISPs who update their DNS server info quickly will get an error and the site will not be there for them. This shouldn't happen for any longer than 24 hours.

The reason I am doing it this way is because the way I used to do it is a real pain in the butt. I have special permissions set up for individual forums, and there is no general "read only" switch for the entire site. So I have to change each groups of forums individually before the move, then change them back afterwards. It's either doing it that way or shutting the entire site down for the move.

So bear with me. Sorry about this, but you never know about a server until you try it on for size.

Thanks.