PDA

View Full Version : Sigh. Had a regurge.

Sigh. Had a regurge.

promethear
02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok...I have already read the FAQ and am following the protocol. I even admit I probably caused it (snake too stressed for various reasons). But this leads me to some questions. At the moment I am using a carpet. S/he seemed happier on aspen. I can fix that, but since I am not supposed to handle the snake for a fairly long time, how do I do this? Putting aspen back in (i think) in the long run will make the snake more comfortable but I do not want to aggravate the situation. Secondly, The feeding container I was using was WAY too big (almost had to pour the snake out to get him back in the tank...the container would not fit). I can easily get a deli cup or somesuch. But again, if I am not supposed to handle the snake how do I get the snake INTO it? Or is it more a matter of placing the food in the cup and the cup in the tank and let nature take it's course? (using the search immediately following this post...wanted to ask the questions while I was thinking about them).

jlindp
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure I can answer the carpet question, since I know changing their scenery can cause stress. As for the feeding container, you can gently pick up the snake and put him/her in it and then once the meal is finished, so let place the container back in the tank and let the snake get out on his own. Using a deli cup would be most efficient for this process.

bitsy
02-13-2010, 08:50 PM
S/he seemed happier on aspen. I can fix that, but since I am not supposed to handle the snake for a fairly long time, how do I do this? Putting aspen back in (i think) in the long run will make the snake more comfortable but I do not want to aggravate the situation.
Wait for a while and switch over while the snake is next out of the tank for feeding.

Secondly, The feeding container I was using was WAY too big (almost had to pour the snake out to get him back in the tank...the container would not fit).
That's the technique that I use. It shouldn't be traumatic for them as long as they roll/slide rather than fall any distance on the way in.

I can easily get a deli cup or somesuch. But again, if I am not supposed to handle the snake how do I get the snake INTO it? Or is it more a matter of placing the food in the cup and the cup in the tank and let nature take it's course?
I don't think there's a blanket "ban" on handling. Gently handling it should be OK in order to accomplish basic tasks like moving to feed or clean.

It can be a battle of wits to get them into a smaller feeding tub. I find that holding them up so that most of their body is vertical, then putting them gently in tail-first, helps. If I put them in head-first, they can be half way out of the tank again before I've folded the tail end in!

promethear
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank you. I think I will also put the red light back on (far enough away that it doesnt add significant heat) so I can see how he is doing and not have the lights on. It will be be easier for me to leave him alone if I can have a general Idea of his activity (or lack thereof). If he gets ampy and starts doing the nose rubbing thing I will go back to the aspen. If not I will take that to mean he has adjusted to the carpet. (just a thought)

wstphal
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
If you really think your snake REALLY likes aspen bedding & that that would reduce stress, pour some in ON the carpet on the side he's not on. Wait for him to move to the aspen, then do the same on the other side. You can always fish the carpet out later while your snake is in the feeding bin working on a pinkie head!

promethear
02-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, this week went well. Spoke to the guy who runs the reptile department at the local Petco. He flat out told me that they have been getting their corns too young. He told me that the frozen pinks are WAY too large (which would explain a few things). The guy then sent me to another shop which specializes in reptiles for a day old pink. Rhozko ate it and kept it down (thus far). Assuming the best and the regurge was based on food that was too large and stress...any guesses on how long he should stay on day-olds? His current weight is 7.78 grams (working on getting a scale to monitor...this is according to the vet).

carnivorouszoo
02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
According to the Munson plan, which is just a guideline not set in stone, snakes should be on single pinks of 2-3 grams until they are at 15 grams (the snake that is). Then they go to double pinks 3grams x 2 until the snake is about 23 grams. Keep in mind that is just a guideline. If your snake is really thin and you think a whole pink may be too stressful you can do what I do. Cut the pink in half or in 3rds. Feed all the pieces, they go in smaller, don't stretch the skin as much and digest much easier.

Nroc
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
According to the Munson plan, which is just a guideline not set in stone, snakes should be on single pinks of 2-3 grams until they are at 15 grams (the snake that is).

I like the Munson plan as a guideline...but I think it generalizes things on the hatchling end of the spectrum.

3 gram pinkies are too large for a hatchling IMHO. Hatchlings up to 10 grams should be on 1-2 day-old pinkies when possible. I have 1-day-old pinkies in my freezer, and I also have medium/large pinkies. There is a MAJOR difference in the size. Those darn mice grow up pretty fast.

I think a revision of the Munson plan would be

Up to 10g, feed single pinks 1-2 grams every 5-6 days
10-15g, feed single pinks 2-3 grams every 5-6 days

Of course, I am new to this, so don't take any of my advice but if you do take my advice, call it the Nroc Plan :roflmao:

bksbuddha
02-27-2010, 03:03 AM
:cheers: I'm so very happy that the little bugger kept his food down. That's great news. That would be one of the drawbacks to places like Petco & Petsmart...thank goodness for those little, specialty places. I'm lucky like that as well. Those newborns work really great when your new baby is so tiny. :cool:
I'm so paranoid about giving them too big a food item, that I use the conservative approach. :o I just started giving Squiggle small fuzzies & she's a year old now. Just before that I was using up the pinkies that I had left over by giving her 2 of them. I actually did the same thing w/Slither & am quite happy w/how she's looking.