PDA

View Full Version : Pupils?

Pupils?

CodeRed
02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
So, this isn't really a problem, but it's a bit strange. I got my new snake today, and immediately noticed something different about him than my amel... he can move his pupils! This is something my amel cannot do. I've never read anything about pupils not being able to move, but I always just assumed it was completely normal... obviously not.
Is this something genetic? Normal with some corns? Always happens to amels? Ect. ect.? Most important of all, though, is is this going to affect him as he grows up? So far he seems completely fine, and hasn't seemed bothered at all...

Also, his pupils do not dilate, not matter what.

This has been a strange day.

jlindp
02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I think what you're seeing are his eyeballs moving, not his pupils, as they are only openings in the eye and shouldn't move, except to appear larger and smaller due to the amount of light that the iris is permitting to enter. Also, since snakes don't have an eyelid, their range of eye movement is pretty limited.

Nanci
02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
My snakes all move their eyeballs, and their pupils all constrict. It's just more noticeable with some than with others.

CodeRed
02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
What I mean is his eyes don't move at all. He's always looking in one direction...

Like this:
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj419/KaylaKiwified/102_0134-1.jpg?t=1266183916

That one eye is always focused down and back. But my new snake actually follows movement. It might be nothing, but it just struck me as odd.

I don't know. Maybe it's what Nanci said, and they just don't move as much... it just seems like his eyes are completely unresponsive. I've never once seen him move his eyes since I got him in November.

vetusvates
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I usually freeze, staring straight into space like a deer in the headlights, too, when the big giant new 1000-foot tall guy comes to sling me around and poke the giant flashy-clicky thing in my face.

In other words, he might be terrified. And they look dilated (enlarged) to me. I think you mean constricted (diminished in size).
Be at peace. All is well.

CodeRed
02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
All right, thanks x3 And yeah, I'm not so good with the eye ball things... must've blocked it out at school... the only think I have ears for is genetics and fish.
Thanks again for the answers. I didn't really think anything was wrong, I was just curious.