PDA

View Full Version : questions about DIY hides.....

questions about DIY hides.....

MrGBB
02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
hey guys im planing on a little hide project but i think there might be flaws... what if i was to make a paper mache hide would there be and problems or would it be okay? i hope you guy can help =]

TheFallen
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I know some zoos use paper mache to make their fake trees and such. I actually seen a tv show that shown you how they do it. They seal it though so I would seal it when it dries.

jlindp
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't think there should be a problem, as long as you make sure nothing you use is toxic. I think you can make the paste with flour and water. To make sure it doesn't get moldy or start to disintegrate (for lack of a better word), I think you'd have to seal it...but I'd be cautious about those, too, since they'd probably be toxic. I'm sure with some searching you could find something, though. Good luck, sounds like a neat project.

TheFallen
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Alot of people say they use Mod Podge to seal things in their tanks. You can find it at arts and crafts stores or at Walmart. Its waterbased and non-toxic.

MrGBB
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
yea im gunna try to make one tonight and ill seal it tomorrow if i use a water proof sealant i can probably use it to make waterbowls too. =]

girthta
02-15-2010, 07:02 AM
If you use flour/water for paper mache put in a little salt to retard any mold growth.

You can also use newspaper ground up in a blender to make a paper mash and sort of sculpt that into a really cool, organic shape. Will take longer to dry.

You can also get plaster of paris cloth which can be dipped in water and smoothed around molds made of crumpled newspaper. the paris cloth should be easy to find at any crafts store.

All will need to be sealed.. Modge Podge is good but will not stand up to the constant wet of water. For that I would use sculpty or mold something around a dish, using the dish to contain the water.

(yes, I do a LOT of crafts)

MrGBB
02-15-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks man i didnt ven thik about the blender thing.... that was a good idea, im guessing it comes out as like a paper mache clay like substance.

girthta
02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Yea, there's tons of stuff on the web for ya. It's basically just water and shredded paper.