PDA

View Full Version : Sexing baby snakes.

Sexing baby snakes.

Andrea S
06-06-2002, 04:22 AM
Can you explain how to properly sex a baby corn? I read the cornsnake manual but I can't evert their emipenes, the popping method seems too difficult for me.Probably I'm afraid to damage the hatchlings and I don't make the right pressure,I' don't know,but I don't think I have 41 female in the two clutches... :-(
Thanks,
Andrea S. (form Italy)

CornsnakeKeeper
06-06-2002, 07:01 AM
LOL I'm sure you don't have 40 females.
Go to a local herp show or club meeting or ask an experienced vet to demonstrate. You shouldn't try to teach yourself as you may damage a hatchling or two. Good luck!

Simon
06-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Well actually poping isn't that hard.....but then you shouldn't do it without an experienced herper or vet to show you how to do it. As CornsnakeKeeper said, go to a herp show or something to let someone experienced teach you.

If you live anywhere near my area I will be more than happy to teach you both poping and probing....

CornsnakeKeeper
06-06-2002, 12:38 PM
She lives in an entirely different country. :D

Too bad I do too. I'd really like to learn.

Andrea S
06-06-2002, 01:02 PM
but I live in Italy,if you gonna spent some holydays in Rome ...
I think I' didn't make the right pressure on the cloacal part and the emipenes didn't evert.In Rome there aren't reptiles society, I think I would have theached by myself,but I'll probably wait to meet an expericed herper...
Thanks a lot,
Andrea S.

CornsnakeKeeper
06-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Good decision.
When I got my last corns... I watched a guy at another table pop hatchlings. He was really rough. He put a lot of pressure cuz he couldnt get em to pop.
I chose not to buy hatchlings from him. He may have hurt future breeders.

kellyjones
06-10-2002, 10:02 AM
I didnt fancy trying to pop mine so I took him to a breeder that I trust. He turned out to be a she ! :p Never mind. Sid is a lovely name for a girl

CornSnake Fever
06-14-2002, 04:34 PM
I had the reptile shop that I got my snake from probe her . if you no what you are doing it look like an easy procedure. you might try your local vet or your reptile shop they might be able to help.

Simon
06-14-2002, 05:44 PM
hahah
pet shops....
the snow that I got from them said that the breeder was 100% sure that all the snows (had 3 snows there) were all females. Because that little guy just ate, I didn't want to stress it by poping it......so I bought it home waited for 48 hours and then poped him on Wednesday......well his hemipense came out.....and I was like.....hum....the breeder knows his stuff.....the pet shop said that the breeder probed it and he was 100% sure......if he is sure.....what are the two hemipense doing on that female...

I don't trust pet shops anymore....I would rather bring my own probing equipment and either probe them myself or just pop them......

so I would think that these things is a must learn kind of stuff... but then never learn it without an experienced person. I learned probing and poping from Kathy Love....so I would say that she is experienced enough.....