PDA

View Full Version : custom made enclosure

custom made enclosure

ShowMeCorns
03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Im wanting to make enclosures for my corn snakes. would like to make a wooden enclosure with just a glass on the front, this project is going to consist of 6 habitats. only problem is im running into trouble thinking of how to be able to make the glass where i can open/close it without the snakes being able to get out. any ideas?

ShowMeCorns
03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
ok here is what i got forgive me for the crappy plans, paint doesnt like me much and its just a rough sketch. Im thinking i can use plexi glass and have it where it can be lifted up and shut n locked into place. let me know thoughts/opinions.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u207/piratealx/tank.png

envy13
04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
i think if you are going to go ahead and buy a huge piece of plexi you might as well cut it into 6 pieces so you dont have to open all the enclosures if you just want one snake you'll be buying more latches and hinges but that would be worth it to me what i would do is frame it in 2by2s and put the back panel in first one solid piece then the three shelves that are the bottoms and tops of the cages the 2by2s should be enough space for you to fit hinges and a latch if not you might have to use a 2by4 in the front i would then insert the center dividers to support the center of the cages not that corns should weigh enough to make it sag anyway stay away from particle board you might as well be soaking your wood in formaldehyde and not to mention it will come apart i would recommend you use some waterproof treatment on the wood to keep it from rotting and if you are unhappy after you cut the plexi with the dull edge get sand paper in a graduated pack from very coarse to the finest you can buy use the coarsest dry to the fine paper wet of course then after you have sanded it perfectly smooth take a torch and touch the blue flame lightly against the plexi it should turn perfectly clear hope this helps again IM NOT A CARPENTER but no one else tried to help

Blue Apple Herps
04-02-2010, 10:04 AM
What tools do you have access to? There are several options. If you have access to a router, you can easily make a frame for the glass and use that. You could also do sliding glass doors.

I find it easiest to just use plexiglass. Take a look at my step by step guide for this display viv: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72880&highlight=display

This way is super easy. If you do it this way, you need at least 1/4" plexiglass and the opening can't be too big. If its too thin or if the opening gets too big, the plexigalss can bow if the snake pushed too hard against it and potentially get out.

Feel free to PM me or ask here if you have any questions about using glass or plexiglass. I'll be glad tohelp out!

ShowMeCorns
04-02-2010, 01:55 PM
i have every tool in the books i feel lol. thanks for the link as well.

Blue Apple Herps
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
This gives a good explanation for framing up a glass door: http://arbreptiles.com/cages/3x2.shtml

It would be another good option and glass is pretty cheap. You need a router to do it, which a lot of people don't have, but if you do I'd probably go this route.

WolfKin
04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey Helms brother! I'm building a 4'x2'x2' tank for my anery boy, out of wood too. What kind of paint or finish are you going to use on the inside? I don't want to mess up his breathing with fumes and crap. Any ideas?

ShowMeCorns
04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
well for the inside i was going to keep it just the plain wood, possibly using a background that i can tape on the back or something, Of course if you do paint it, just paint before you put it on and let it sit for about 3-4 days and there shouldnt be a smell. I Also screwed holes in the side with a regular drill bit for air and such.

WolfKin
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks Cat! Best of luck with yours.