PDA

View Full Version : Collecting wild Corns in NC?

Collecting wild Corns in NC?

Slik
01-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Collecting wild Corns

Since I am relatively new to this hobby I thought I'd try to pick the brains of those who are much more experienced in this aspect than I. I work in a family owned business and we actually have one of our facilities that is located in Swansboro, NC (near Jacksonville) and I was curious if anyone knew if this are had any potential for possibly collecting a few wild caught Corns.

I have no idea what would be the best time of the year for this trip but my schedule is fairly flexible so most anytime could be workable. Is spring the best time or would I be better off to try it in the fall before they start brumation?

Anyone here from or near this area?

Thanks for any input of help on this...I think it would add a lot to my insight by being able to tromp around and see a few of these guys in the wild.

Lee

Tim Madsen
01-15-2004, 11:42 PM
That area has some of the best looking corns I've ever seen. The middle of April to the end of May is the best time for corn hunting (depending on the weather). I've seen some brilliantly colored corns in Hyde County.

Slik
01-16-2004, 07:07 AM
Wow, thats about the last thing I expected to hear. I'm not known for having much good luck ;) That is great and I really appreciate the information. I'll have to start talking to a few of the folks in the area and making arrangements to take a trip down there I think...

I guess I having something to look forward to in the Spring now :)

Again, many thanks...

Lee

CAV
01-18-2004, 11:53 AM
You need to talk to elrojo. Chip is the forum's NC snake hunter.

Slik
01-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks CAV,

I'll drop him an email ans see if he can shed some additional light on the subject for me.

Many thanks for the help.

Lee

So Pirate55
01-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm from NC, and i can vouch for this place being excellent for catching snakes, Corns or Rat snakes.

We used to catch what my grandpa used to call "chicken eaters" which were Black Rat snakes that would get up to a certain length that they could "eat chickens". Then i moved to greenville a couple years ago and started goin hunting in Greene county. I've seen 4 corns, on my trips but i've let them be. All were somewhat darkwashed in color which i found interesting. They were normal, but had an over all really dark color to them. The only thing i've ever seen close to them, was a picture in Kathy Love's Manual.

It's also a good place to catch Water Moccasins, Timber Rattlers, and Copperheads, but venomous snakes just arent my thing.

Lee Slikkers
01-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by So Pirate55
It's also a good place to catch Water Moccasins, Timber Rattlers, and Copperheads, but venomous snakes just arent my thing.

Eeek :eek1: I think I'll pass on the hot herps...that was my main fear, not growing up around venomous snakes I will have to bring my ID'ing skills up to speed before I start grabbing for anything in the dark :)

Thanks for the tip.

Lee

So Pirate55
01-20-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah i grew up around them, well not the timbers but i've encountered them quite a few times hunting and fishing.

When i was younger, my parents wouldnt let me touch any snake until my dad would look at it first. And even then i think there were a couple corns that he mistaked for copperheads and wouldnt let me catch. Yeah good rule of thumb for any snake:

"if you're not sure what it is, dont touch it"

besides, finding them is the fun part. no reason to take them out of their element unless it's a morph that sticks out and has a small chance of surviving or it's a morph that you wanna breed.

CAV
01-20-2004, 12:40 PM
You've got to be the luckiest herper in the world to find morphs in the wild. ;)

Lee Slikkers
01-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Well, with my luck that would count me out...

hehhehe, lol, maybe I should just watch Snake Wrangler on DISH instead and save myself some milage :)

Lee

So Pirate55
01-20-2004, 12:47 PM
You've got to be the luckiest herper in the world to find morphs in the wild.

oh yeah no doubt, the only reason i say that is an old man that used to live a couple houses down from us, had an albino Rat Snake that he found as a hatchling and kept it.

Yeah, anyone who finds a "morph" as we refer to them today is well......probably lying. You know, it's not like ur just gonna come across a area full of pewters. but if it's in their genes, it's always a possibility (more common such as an amel or something, not pewter)

Lee, if ur around swansboro, then have you been to the Croatan. I dont think you can remove them, but u should come across some real beauties there.

Lee Slikkers
01-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by So Pirate55
Lee, if ur around swansboro, then have you been to the Croatan. I dont think you can remove them, but u should come across some real beauties there.

Actually, I'm from Holland, MI and have only visited Swansboro 2 or 3 times in the last 5 yrs...and at that time I wasn't REALLY into Corns like I am now. I wouldn't have a clue what your refering to unfortunately...

I just know our family flys down there from time to time and I figured if I hoped on the plane for a long weekend it might be a fun time trying to find some wild corns.

Lee

So Pirate55
01-20-2004, 12:57 PM
It's a forrest that has areas set aside for Hunting, Camping, ATVin'g etc. It's jut a nat. forrest in the area with some beautiful fauna, not just snakes. It's a great place to visit if ur ever down and have some free time.

Lee Slikkers
01-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Ahh, sounds great So Pirate55...I'll have to look that up next time I get to NC.

Thanks again.

Lee

Tim Madsen
01-21-2004, 10:06 AM
One other thing you may be fortunate to see is the red pygmy rattlesnake. Hyde county has the only known population of these interesting little snakes. I've seen many of them down there and they are one of the most beautiful pit vipers, in my opinion. They are protected in NC, but there's nothing wrong with photographing them.

Lee Slikkers
01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Cool~ Thanks for the heads up Tim. Man, you guys are starting to make this Northerner a bit nervous with all the possible venomous snakes I may encounter :eek: but I guess if you send time snake hunting in the south thats just part of it...

Something for me to think on though....

hehehe

Lee

So Pirate55
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
na, dont be nervous. Be cautious. We're not trying to scare you at all, just giving you a few to be on the look out for. It's such a variety of snakes here to look for that you should have a really fun time.

Lee Slikkers
01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Awesome...I am really looking forward to the experience. I haven't actively snake hunted since my late childhood/early teens...so this will be a fresh look at them again for me.

I did have to deal with Copperheads and the occasional Timber rattler when I lived 1/2 mile off the Appalachian Trail in VA 6 yrs ago but those were not that frequent, maybe 6 or so Copperheads a on the small pond we had and 2-3 Timber's but mostly those were seen on the roads at night.

Time to start planning a couple potential dates and then simply watch the barometer I guess and going with that as a good indicator.

Thanks,

Lee

paulc
01-25-2004, 02:30 PM
So pirate 55 and Tim Madson or any body else for that matter,
I live in the U.K I am very interested in hunting snakes in the wild, we only have two here (grass snake and the adder) but I enjoy looking for them to observe there behaviour and photo.I also like to read about herp hunting experiences, what I am getting at is do you have any nice stories about hunting for snakes particualy Cornsnakes.

So Pirate55
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
i've just gotten into corns within the past few months, so as of recent stories, i have none. I will after this summer for sure.

I used to catch snakes and pretty much anything that crawled or would scare my mom when i was a lil boy. At one point they acutally told me "if it's black, then it's a moccasin. If it's lighter brown, then it's a copperhead". They did this for my own protection b/c we have plenty of both here in NC. As i grew older i think i eventually caught a couple Black Rat Snakes, a lot of lil green snakes, and a tiny lil ringneck.

So Pirate55
02-09-2004, 02:35 PM
i've just gotten into corns within the past few months, so as of recent stories, i have none. I will after this summer for sure.

I used to catch snakes and pretty much anything that crawled or would scare my mom when i was a lil boy. At one point they acutally told me "if it's black, then it's a moccasin. If it's lighter brown, then it's a copperhead". They did this for my own protection b/c we have plenty of both here in NC. As i grew older i think i eventually caught a couple Black Rat Snakes, a lot of lil green snakes, and a tiny lil ringneck.

Santa
02-12-2004, 10:45 PM
I live on a farm in Bladen County, NC surrounded by the State Forest. I have caught many corns and use two of them in my breeding program. The large male displays bright color for a few days after a shed and then he turns darker (as described by So Pirate55). He is in brumation right now, but if you like I will post a picture of him at a later date.

As for finding them in the wild, my suggestion is to look for mice or mice droppings from April thru June. Corns will go to the mice. Then check the area in the mornings (before the dew dries) and again just before dark. That is when the corns are looking for mice. I have better luck in the morning.

Good Hunting!

PS I have also caught black racers, mud snakes, king snakes, and one juvenile timber rattler on my farm. I have yet to see a copper head, eastern diamond back, or water moccasin on this farm, but I have seen copper heads in surrounded forrest.

Lee Slikkers
02-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the tips and insight Santa...I will definately keep those in mind as I try to plan an early spring hunt.

Lee

Santa
04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
As promised I have included a pic of my NC wild caught male corn. He is nearly 5 five long, very bulky and very strong. This pic was taken just a few days after a shed so his colors are at their most brilliant. He will darken in about a week or so. I will take another pic at that time to show you.

Santa
04-19-2004, 10:28 PM
I just caught this snake yesterday. It appears to be a young female (I will probe it later). It is a little thin and has a stub tail but nice colors.