PDA

View Full Version : Regurge...

Regurge...

Slik
01-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Well I was hoping against hope that I would never have to post here on this topic but I guess my husbandry skills are not as sharp as I thought they were...

Regurge...

I did a search on this forum for info regarding this topic and this is my current plan of action unless someone can't point me in a better way.

I fed my 0.1 Bloodred on Friday and yesterday (Sunday) I found my 1st case of regurge. I feed in a separate, clean Sterilite container so I know she has not ingested any substrate. My current substrate is shredded Aspen so I don't feel it has anything to do with the current issue.

I feed f/t pinkies and I've been picking the smallest out of the 100 count bag I ordered as to keep from straining her and the little Bloodred male (they are both fairly small, 9-10 grams and 15-16") My temps were (I have since changed them) 87 on the warm end and 74 on the cool end. They are now 84 & 72. I personally feel that the high end temps may have been too high and helped to cause the regurge...I do have a large water bowl which doubles as a hide and as I mentioned 1.5"-2" of Aspen as the substrate. She is always found inside the water dish hide which I place against the back wall (hot end) I noticed my other snakes using the shredded Aspen and burrowing into it as a hide and figured with this happening 1 hide was plenty and if she was too warm she would move out of the hide and burrow into the Aspen on/near the cool side. I can see now that this might be faulty logic and an actual hide on both ends is definitely needed. I will be correcting that today.

Actually I will be removing the Aspen shaving and going to paper towel as a substrate to help me see any other issues she might be having that I have missed in the large amount of shaving. I am also going to be making some hides that run the full length of all the tubs so they can choose the same hide and simply move from the warm end to the cool end as needed and place them against one of the sides of the tubs (12qt in a rack).

So with changing the heat temps, the substrate, the hide situation and now waiting for 10 days until feeding 1/2 of a f/t pinkie I feel I have corrected and planned for a good chance at recovery and normal eating again.

Lee

P.S. I will also be adding the GSE (grapefruit seed extract) in the correct diluted amounts to her and all my other corns water dishes.

bmm
01-19-2004, 03:47 PM
If you are SURE your hot side is 87 and your cool side is 74, but your corn is still soaking constantly check for mites.

All my corns have 90 degree hot spots, 70-75 cool end. It could have been your temps but I don't see how if in fact the cool side is COOL and the temps aren't being read wrong.

I'd check for mites too. Constant soaking is not normal.

bmm

Slik
01-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Sorry for the confusion BMM...actually she isn't soaking. Her water dish is the typical dog/cat dish, hollow underneath and I've run a 1" hole in the side and she is using the underside as her hide...not actually soaking in the water portion of the dish. Its kind of a 2 in 1 deal...waterbowl/hide ;)

So if I understood you right even if you my tub might have measured 88ish against the back wall and the front of the tub measured 74 you don't feel that is too warm? My thinking was that while the back of the tub read 88, the underside of that hide might have been even warmer...say 90+ and if she is a shy snake and didn't think that simply burrowing in the aspen on the cool side was enough privacy she might have elected to sit it out in the heated hide even though those temps were a bit too warm...

Either way, I've dropped the temps to 82-84 now and added a paper towel tube cut in half that runs from the warm side all the way to the cool side in hopes that she will be more apt to find the correct temp and still feel hidden.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Lee

bmm
01-20-2004, 10:40 AM
O.k. thanks for clearing up.

Yes dropping temps sounds like a good idea. Just keep the around 84. You wouldn't want to go lower than that really. Anyways good luck!

bmm