PDA

View Full Version : Having snake racks with cats

Having snake racks with cats

albinoscooby
05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Hey guys I'm going to have a rack up within the next month or so, and I have two cats. One of them is a pain when it comes to the snakes. What do you guys think would be best to keep them from pawing out the bins? Would a door work best?

If you guys have any pictures of your racks that would be great!

Kenneth Noisewater
05-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I've seen people use a bar-and-screw type arrangement on each shelf. Kinda like the way screens and windows are held in place in old screen doors. If that doesn't make sense, maybe I can find a pic somewhere.

albinoscooby
05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
yeah that makes sense. I was thinking maybe a door on the front of the rack too.

Kenneth Noisewater
05-18-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah that makes sense. I was thinking maybe a door on the front of the rack too.

Yeah, but a door will affect ventilation and would increase the lethal potential of a thermostat malfunction. How about a top-to-bottom bar-lock sort of thingy? It would have the benefits of a door without the drawbacks.

albinoscooby
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
That could work too except its going to be about 7ft high haha. I'm going to make it big enough to fit about 45 babies hopefully. What if I put a screen window on the front?

Kenneth Noisewater
05-18-2010, 06:57 PM
A screen door would definitely be suh-weet. I think I've seen examples of both of my suggestions, but I've never seen pics of a screen-door arrangement. But to secure a rack where tubs in each shelf nay be of variable width, the screen door idea may be a great solution. Good idea. :)

bekers71
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
You could use simple dowel rods that go left to right arcross the front of each bin. All it would take is two holes be made for each rod and no need for screws or locks.

Darcpixie
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
or the pegs like reptile basics uses, in the front.

I have 4 cats, and haven't had a problem with any of my 17 kiddos in the different sized racks.

albinoscooby
05-18-2010, 08:18 PM
What about the tub or tubs in the middle? Do you have a picture by chance Becky?

bekers71
05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
What about the tub or tubs in the middle? Do you have a picture by chance Becky?

No sorry I don't. I built my tallest rack, about 6 ft. But the way I built it the tubs are too tight for any cat to pull them out. It holds 10 27qt totes with lids on. But if I needed to add dowel rods they would be placed where they run across the front of each one of the totes. Like a guard rail. It's really hard to explain things on computer, you know that? Does any of that make sense at all? I'm starting to confuse my self now and it's really simple. LOL

Yvette
05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
And I've been thinking about getting a cat! Now I don't think it is such a good idea.

bekers71
05-19-2010, 03:25 PM
And I've been thinking about getting a cat! Now I don't think it is such a good idea.

Why not? Cat's don't pose to be an issue as long as the snakes are secure. My cat doesn't ever attempt to bother any of my snakes and he's just a year old. I have close to 200 snakes too so he has his opportunities. His favorite place to sleep is on top of the amazon tree boa cage. Now that's a snake I don't think I'd mess with if I were a cat. LOL :nope:

albinoscooby
05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
yeah get a cat. They are good company and bring joy. A different kind of joy than a snake would since they are warm and furry haha.

Juniors Serpents
05-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Brian I have an idea on how im going to build your rack. I'll draw up blue prints tonight.

albinoscooby
05-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Rofl awesome dude. Let me see them if you're doing it on a computer. yeah I want to try and build it the first week of June. Damn you are a Jack of all trades haha. Este Way, Tu eres un Mechanico, e carpenter, e breeder, etc. haha.

Juniors Serpents
05-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey Brian here is a ruff sketch. I put doors on it that will spilt down the middle. I can put a screen on it that they sell for windows thats dog and cat scratch proof. its just a ruff sketch though. let me know what you think. I drew it out on paper.

albinoscooby
05-21-2010, 01:20 AM
yeah that looks like it could work dude. Are the front doors going to be solid or that wood that has the holes in it? I think it's called Basal wood or something. Is that like 7ft high and 4ft wide?

Juniors Serpents
05-21-2010, 01:36 AM
The doors are framed doors. The doors will be framed out and wraped in screen. that way there is still air circulation. That way it doesn't over heat the snakes. The demisions are 6 ft by 3 ft. It will hold 48 babies or 12 adults.

albinoscooby
05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
The doors are framed doors. The doors will be framed out and wraped in screen. that way there is still air circulation. That way it doesn't over heat the snakes. The demisions are 6 ft by 3 ft. It will hold 48 babies or 12 adults.

ok dope dude. That will work then.

carol
05-21-2010, 02:36 AM
I use lids with my racks, that way I don't have snakes flying out before I am ready. It makes feeding day much easier.
And then the worst thing they can do is climb them....

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80781

azhketh
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Eh, I've tried that cat scratch proof screen. My cat found the edges and chewed/tore it up. Your best bet would be wire mesh, sold as hardware cloth (seems like a weird name to me, but whatever). The cat can't scratch or chew through that stuff.

MysticExotics
06-13-2010, 01:42 AM
I use lids with my racks, that way I don't have snakes flying out before I am ready. It makes feeding day much easier.
And then the worst thing they can do is climb them....

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80781

Good idea, using the lids.
Nanci, is that a Pixiebob? (I'm not that familiar with them, but that would be my guess).

I'm going to caution anyone about having Bengals with snakes (unless you keep the snake room off limits (ie: door closed) to the Bengals.
They love high places, love to get into anything & everything. They're very stubborn...LOL

azhketh
06-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Good idea, using the lids.
Nanci, is that a Pixiebob? (I'm not that familiar with them, but that would be my guess).

I'm going to caution anyone about having Bengals with snakes (unless you keep the snake room off limits (ie: door closed) to the Bengals.
They love high places, love to get into anything & everything. They're very stubborn...LOL

Whoa, I missed that link; gorgeous cat! I love those exotic wild looking breeds. My favorite is the Savannah, I would love to own one some day. Bet they're a handful, though, I'd need more space for it to run around in I think. ;)

MysticExotics
06-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Whoa, I missed that link; gorgeous cat! I love those exotic wild looking breeds. My favorite is the Savannah, I would love to own one some day. Bet they're a handful, though, I'd need more space for it to run around in I think. ;)

Space is good, but you could also have 2, to keep each other entertained when you're not there, &/or get a cat wheel. Looks like a big hampste wheel, but Bengla & Savannah owners often use it. My female Bengal uses the cat wheel every day.

azhketh
06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Space is good, but you could also have 2, to keep each other entertained when you're not there, &/or get a cat wheel. Looks like a big hampste wheel, but Bengla & Savannah owners often use it. My female Bengal uses the cat wheel every day.

:laugh01: Cat wheel. That's awesome, think I need one of those for my goofy cat.

MysticExotics
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
:laugh01: Cat wheel. That's awesome, think I need one of those for my goofy cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwZfhdkA3M

BloodyBaroness
06-15-2010, 11:05 AM
This the problem I have with cats and snakes racks.

Snakes racks, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/dragonbaroness/025-7.jpg

That's my fat cat, Hot Foot, hanging out on the lower tub space. I keep it open for him because he "baby sits" all the snakes and will attack the other cats if they get too close. He also gets in the slot when it storms, but only after he does a visual check on each snake in it's tub. It's really funny to watch while he looks after the snakes like a mother hen.

albinoscooby
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I need to get some pictures up of my rack. It can pretty much used pipe brackets and dowels to keep them out.

Caryl
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Autumn, that photo is FABULOUS!

Our cat keeps an eye on the snakes as well. He's never bothered them when they're being handled, though I'd never entirely trust hum of course. He's never far from where I am. At feeding time, however, he's has to be in another room. I left a mouse in a feeding container once and went to get the snake. When I came back, no mouse in the container and one happy looking kitty!

Buzzard
06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x147/Buzz4401/snakephotoshoot119.jpg

This is an older pic of my rack but my 2 cats cant get to the snakes. The tubs are tight(not to tight) to the top and bottom. Since this pic I added more shelves and more tubs, all the way to the bottom.

And the display tank

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x147/Buzz4401/7-24-08012.jpg

What you cant see is the plexi-glass top to the cage after the cat went through it a few years back.

Dreamsnake
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Our cats picked on the corns when they were bitty hatchlings. We got a full grown ball python and the cats now respect the snake habitats. They do enjoy watching the snakes eat from a safe distance.

KimberlyAnn
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you have built this or not, but have you thought about the cat climbing the screen door? My cat has before...lol