• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Golden corns

Yet, last year Megan got two clutches from a virgin butter bred to a suspected het caramel. 18 hatchlings in the first clutch, no caramels, the babies were normals and amels. The second clutch contained a butter. Just because "on paper" you should get 50% of something represented doesn't mean you will.

LOL posted at the same time as Megan!

Murphy crashes on my couch, screwing with odds.

So true. But do you really want to gamble for $3K on Corn Snakes? Especially since the two that are Golden don't look like the original. To me this shows all the characterstics of a co-dom trait.

Tim

I'm assuming someone that spent $3K would know they are taking a risk. Even if it's a new gene something can always go wrong when dealing with live critters
I'm gonna say the two younger ones do kind of look like caramels to me, though.

I'm assuming someone that spent $3K would know they are taking a risk. Even if it's a new gene something can always go wrong when dealing with live critters
I'm gonna say the two younger ones do kind of look like caramels to me, though.

I agree Jen.

Seeing pictures of the two "visuals" really make me think this something like caramel. Probably a locality/line bred thing since the two visuals look different from mom. Tim seems to be right on the money with the "Miami or Okeetee phase were bred to a normal corn" analogy.

The mother was amazing looking, it's a shame she passed.

I'm assuming someone that spent $3K would know they are taking a risk.

I've seen a lot of people make bad investment decisions in snakes as well as in other types of investments. What troubles me is that the snakes are being called "hets" and that may not be the case. I someone bought something being sold as "guaranteed" to be carrying a recessive trait and it wasn't, then I'd have a real problem with that. Especially if the buyer spent a lot of money.

Tim

That's also part of why I'm not buying the entire collection right off. Considering the look of the visuals, if no one takes the project I may plop down for just a het then and breed it to my butter female.

Does anyone know where to find a picture of the original female? I keep reading how beautiful she is, but I'm having a hard time finding her.

Well, you wouldn't expect the two baby Goldens to look like mom for a couple years. But they must have looked significantly different from the normals in the clutch. (Just speculating.)

Does anyone know if Carsten Zoldy has bred one of these to a caramel to prove that they are in fact not the same morph, because I would say after looking at her gen 2 off spring that she is just an amazing caramel.

That one of the bigger and/or well known breeders hasn't snapped these up, afaik, tells you that they have enough projects, tyvm ;). When Carston originally posted the info and pic it generated a real good bit of buzz...

2GSD I don't think any breedings were done except the ones that produced the group for sale.

Golden Okeetee or Long term project.

I can't say weather or not these are a new morph, but they look almost identical to the rejects of a long-term project I have been working on. I am trying to work away from those dirty grays, and produce a smoother gray background coloration in both a dark phase and a light phase. I am assuming other breeders have been working on the same project secretly and like myself keep the best specimens and sell off the less desirables as just nondescript corns (so, not to give their project away) I have acquired several specimens to add to my project this way. Since the cat is sort of out of the bag already, I'll post a picture of one of my light phase specimens. I am in the process of taking pictures of my breeders from this project and only have this light phase pictured so far. I am hoping to debut these this coming season. This has been over a decade long project for me and I’m sure for my like-minded peers. I also have a beautiful striped specimen of this morph and many offshoot combinations. I will hopefully be proving out whether or not the specimens I acquired that look like the specimen a few post below are indeed the same as my project or potentially a new morph as people are saying, Note that the similar Corns I acquired came from various sources/sales all unknown histories other than pet shops and unknown private individuals I have run across, and not from the breeders marketing them as Goldens. So the similar specimens I have, cannot be traced back to the source of theirs. I would guess that the other big breeders aren't buying these up because like suggested they held on to all the project animals that would move them closer towards their final goal and quietly sold off the rest which were later acquired by individuals who realized they were something new to the market. This is purely a hypothetical guess on my part and I in no way want to offend anyone. I am also not claiming that they don’t indeed have a new morph. I don’t know enough history on their end. I just know that I have had many sub-adults over the years that looked identical to the picture in the earlier post. And I have come across several randomly for sale that were apparently mislabeled or more correctly put, under labeled.

Attachments

• comparison 800.jpg
    comparison 800.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Collection golden 800 Okeetee Female#1.JPG
    Collection golden 800 Okeetee Female#1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Collection Golden 800 Okeetee Female#1 Close True Color.JPG
    Collection Golden 800 Okeetee Female#1 Close True Color.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 269
That is sure a project that has gone nowhere, by running into roadblocks at every turn. It would be nice to see something happen with it.

I know!!! I tried very hard to acquire that corn back in the day. I never got my hands on it as the owner was hesitant to let anything out of his collection. I discussed breeding trials and other things and actually sent him a snake to use for a tester (amber I think) and I was supposed to get in on some offspring. Last I heard there were mix-ups and breeding problems and I never really followed up. Guess they are for sale now...maybe I should try to get my cut?

Hee hee hee :sidestep:

A mutant gene tractable to wild caught is extremely interesting to me. My most prized lines of Corns are my Landrace Lavas and Landrace Sunkissed lines. With the addition of a wild caught Anery line and the Golden Corns, we could have 4 genes tractable to wild caughts.

I suspect the Golden Corns are a wild caught line of Caramel. There is an obvious difference between the original Golden Corn and her "Caramel" looking offspring. The original Golden Corn has an additional layer of pigment over the top of all other colors. I suspect it is RedCoat or something similar. My Topaz lines show these same differences with the on/off occurrence of RedCoat.

test breedings

Between Joe and I we will prove or dis-prove the theory thats its also a caramel gene.Actually,if bred to the hobby line caramel and caramels are indeed produced it would only prove that the genes are allele.
It wouldn't really meen for sure that its the same gene.
We hope to produce all normals when bred with the hobby caramel to establish a new landrace.

We should know for sure in a few months.
Worse case we will still have a landrace caramel and thats very important for some people like Joe and myself.

L8r Cornholio

Let me know what you find. It was supposed to be done years ago with a amber I sent to the original owner. The goal then was to test carmel and hypo. For whatever reason it never happened.

test breedings

Real sorry it didn't work out for you bud.I feel bad you never got anything.Did you ever get your amber back?bummer man.I know that when I ever do a breeding loan that when they leave my house I can never really ever expect to see them again.After breeding now for 25 years believe me I have lost plenty of animals cause stuff just happenes sometimes.

L8r Cornholio

Back