• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Trundlefart" Replacement Name Suggestions

EXACTLY! If a motley is HOMO motley, why should stripe even be called into question?

Maybe because someone who has not made an effort to learn about corn snake genetics comes along. (or is just starting to learn.) They see a visual stripe pattern like the pretties you referred to and my Zen and they know just enough to know that a stripe gene exists and they say "Aha. A striped corn snake."

IMHO:
Motley, maybe with other descriptors added, for genetically homo motley snakes. eg. pinstripe motley.

Stripe, or maybe Genetic Stripe, for snakes that are homo stripe.

Pastiche, (or some other name that lots of people are willing to use), for snakes known to be genetically het motley het stripe.

And you can prove this is from the stripe gene?

No, I can not prove it at this time.

I have not bred this animal, and so far there is no DNA test for any of the corn snake genes, let alone a way to tell motley from stripe from het motley het stripe.
(I did ask the seller many questions about Marmalade. I believe that the seller was telling me the truth. BUT, without breeding trials I will never know.)

Because of all the issues of variability and the confusion between genotype and phenotype is exactly why I personally am in favor of a different name for snakes that are het motley het stripe. Like homo motley snakes, the (insert new name here) snakes will vary because the highly variable motley gene is involved.

I have three "trundlefarts". I had never heard the term until recently actually, and I've only ever heard it in a joking term.

I know I'm new here and all but thought I would weigh in: I do like the idea of a totally different name for a snake that carries one motley gene and one stripe gene (genetically speaking). I do like the idea of

Genetic Stripe: a snake carrying 2 stripe genes (homo)

Motley: a snake carrying 2 motley genes, sometimes with a description added like "pinstripe motley" for a snake showing exceptional striping even though it is not a genetic stripe

and something completely different for m/s. Maybe.... a Medley cornsnake. As in its a "medley" of genes.

Somewhere I read this naming for motley/stripes.. "Strotley" I thought it worked rather well. "str"ipe m"otley"

Somewhere I read this naming for motley/stripes.. "Strotley" I thought it worked rather well. "str"ipe m"otley"

I dont know why, but when I hear "Strotley" I hear a shortened version of "Striped Motley" IE a pinstripe motley, or a motley thats phenotyped striped but genetically motley.

This is why I'm in favor of a totally different name (IMHO Medley) so as to distinguish genetically s/m animals from m/m animals that just appear to be striped.

Again, totally just my opinion! I am enjoying the conversation though :)

Is this snake a motley/motley or a motley/stripe?

Attachments

• Zora December 2010 001.jpg
    Zora December 2010 001.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 72
I like motley/stripe for an animal with both genes. :shrugs: And pinstripe motley or hurricane motley or cubed stripe etc to describe the pattern variation of single-gened animals. Motley/motley works for me too. I like simple; too many trade names already make no sense visually.

Nanci, going to assume both are homo motley without stripe, but if I didn't know the genetics, I'd have to test breed. Until then, just motley would be accurate.

Homo motleys :p cause I saw them in other posts!

Otherwise there would be no way to know without knowing their parents or without breeding trials

I have not bred this animal, and so far there is no DNA test for any of the corn snake genes, let alone a way to tell motley from stripe from het motley het stripe.

You can't tell by looking. You _can_ tell by knowing the pedigree.

I vote for motley/stripe. I would call a homo motley animal that visually appears striped a "Striped motley" which could be confusing, but it's just that, a striped motley, not a "motley/stripe" which the two genes with the / would indicate the presence of both genes, not a description of the pattern on a motley snake. It could easily be confusing to people new to genetics, but so are many of things about genetics and in time they will learn.

I don't use pinstripe or hurricane or anything else to describe critters. Motley, Stripe and Motley/Stripe work perfectly for me...

Nanci's first snake is a stripe, the second is a motley. They are either stripe or motley to me. Or possibly motley HET stripe. I don't even see the need for motley/stripe unless its describing motley het stripe.

The two snakes pictured, Zora and Loco, are both motley/motley. Both have pedigrees that go back for generations. No stripe has ever been introduced into these lines.

Back