• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Body Language Question

So I have a quick question. I can't seem to find it in any of my books or a reliable source on the Internet.

I'm curious about snake body language. I can't seem to find much info except for the tail rattling.

The reason I'm asking is I was handling Py today in an attempt to socialize him and get him used to being handled. I was supporting his body as best as I could with how squirmy he was being and then he drew his head back in a tight 's'. Before I could blink he struck out at the air over my hand. He didn't make contact, like it was a warning, but now I'm more conscious of what his head is doing.

His tail wasn't rattling and he had just been slithering everywhere. I'm not sure if he was fed up with being handled (it had been less than 5 minutes at this point), or if he was throwing a hissy fit. Much like all of my animals I kept a hold of him until he settled down and gave in, because I'm a mean mommy and I don't give in to tantrums. Did I do the right thing or next time should I approach it differently? He seemed to relax after settling down, but I don't want to stress him out.

He ate 4 days ago, and I don't believe he's getting ready to shed (his eyes are really clear and no signs of clouding over). But I'm just a novice so I don't know if either of those could be the cause.

Back to the original question - what other body cues should I be keeping an eye out for? Thanks!

How old is he?

That S pose is defensive, and may or may not be followed by a strike, or fleeing.

He could have been startled by something.

Back