CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How long can a corn snake live without food? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36301)

Scorpio 06-22-2006 02:30 PM

How long can a corn snake live without food?

Just asking anyone know?

ireLocus 06-22-2006 02:31 PM

Um, the bigger question is "Why?"

Scorpio 06-22-2006 02:34 PM

Because mine wont eat and everything is fine, temp is at 28 degrees' gets water everyday, we've seen the vet she says nothings wrong, i'm just worried, and i'd like to know.:crying:

Tracee 06-22-2006 03:07 PM

It entirely depends on the age, size and overall health of the snake. More info?

ireLocus 06-22-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracee
It entirely depends on the age, size and overall health of the snake. More info?

I seriously was about to type that...

Tracee 06-22-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ireLocus
I seriously was about to type that...

Well great minds think alike. Or fools only have one thought between them ;)
It's common sense though this one isn't it :shrug:

Plissken 06-23-2006 09:34 AM

Adult snakes? Three months, maybe more.
Hatchlings, perhaps a little less. But the bottom line is, quite some time :)

cornsnakekid92 06-23-2006 09:48 AM

I think that an adult can go for a lot longer then three months. mine went for about 2 months without food adn was not lossing weight so i was not worried. i think they could go more like 6 months and up

jzal8 06-23-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
I think that an adult can go for a lot longer then three months. mine went for about 2 months without food adn was not lossing weight so i was not worried. i think they could go more like 6 months and up

Definitely...2-3 months can be just a normal phase that alot of adult corns will go through. When it turns into 6+ months, there can be cause for concern. However, from what I have heard and seen, depending on the seasons and where that corn is in its life, it may not be uncommon for them to take a month or two off.

I have a reverse okeetee that was a revenous feeding its first year of life. Then its second year, it would feed one and then refuse food for the next two months as though he wasnt even the least bit hungry. Now in his third year of life he feeds pretty regularly. Still I am never suprised when he turns down a meal cause it will just happen with him. If he is fine with it, so am I :)

As far as corns less than a year old, it begins to become a serious problem when they turn down food for more than a month. The corn may live for several months without eating, but once you break that no food for a month period, it is really time to start trying to figure out what is wrong.

Good luck :wavey:

Scorpio 06-23-2006 12:17 PM

Well my snake will attack the food and move it about but she wont eat it, if this is normal and they do actually take breaks i suppose theres nothing to be worried about?

Info:

Sex:girl
Size:4ft 6
Colour:browny grey

any other info needed post, thanks for all the help. :cheers: