CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY Projects (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   DIY Help (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135979)

ArchCarlos 04-18-2014 10:49 PM

DIY Help

Hey everyone, simple question really. If I were to take a large rock from outside, what do I have to do to make it safe for my reptile friend? Or is it a bad idea?

Eli419 04-18-2014 11:22 PM

U should bake it and then freeze it overnight to kill all of the bacteria. Sorry not sure what temp or how long to bake it but I'm sure someone here does.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

smigon 04-19-2014 02:48 AM

I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.

ArchCarlos 04-19-2014 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smigon (Post 1639082)
I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.

Thanks for the tip!

plasticoamericano 04-19-2014 12:44 PM

Boil and bake like smigon said. Freezing doesn't seem like a bad idea but I've never done it either. Seems like overkill kinda.

NH93 04-19-2014 02:11 PM

My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :P
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me ;)
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck! :)

plasticoamericano 04-19-2014 02:20 PM

The creepy crawlies are everywhere.

ArchCarlos 04-20-2014 12:48 AM

Question is can I use my regular refrigerator to freeze it?

smigon 04-20-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH93 (Post 1639132)
My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :P
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me ;)
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck! :)

LOL "wild rocks"! I just know that there are a lot of bacteria and pesticides (we have a pest control service spray monthly) and other "creepy crawlies" outdoors that could be bad for the snake, so I definitely always err on the side of caution.

I recently got some rocks, shells, pieces of driftwood and other decorations from someone, I really scrubbed them well outside with a hose, but after I boiled them I was amazed at the debris left behind in the pot.

I also boil plastic aquarium plants, I am by no means a germaphobe but better safe than sorry since they are made of plastic and have been shipped from the other side of the world.

I have heard of freezing, but like I said, between the icecream and frozen rodents, I have no room left in there! :)

And yes, ArchCarlos, the freezer attached to your fridge in the kitchen is fine.

barkerross 11-23-2018 01:20 AM

Yes You must Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach.