• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ringed Python?

Michael823

I just came across these pythons while searching online, and they are spectacular. I'm not sure why I've never heard of, or seen them before, but I'm very curious about them.
Does anyone here know anything about them, or have any basic information? It's hard to find any really good information, but having seen pictures, my curiosity is now peeked. I'm simply curious, no real interest in getting one, and from the looks nowhere near the funds, but I would still like to hear any input or experiences some of you may have.

Thanks for any advice!

nope, never heard of them. But, you might want to ask someone with a lil more experience with pythons. The only experience with them I have is helping my Bro-in law clean cages and hold snakes for pics. He told me the types a lot, but those were mostly morph bp's and carpet pythons.

I do not know much about them but I saw them online awhile ago and I must agree they are awesome looking and I plan to get one when I learn more about them.

Well I've found a little more information, and there's a great video of one on reptile channel. They are so gorgeous in my opinion, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about them.
One site said to keep them on aspen, and just provide a moist hide to promote shedding, so that sounds feasible. I will do more research before even thinking about getting one, and due to a lack of funds will have to wait quite a while anyways, but I'm really captivated by them. By the sounds of it they are fairly hardy, eat well once started, grow to a manageable size, not super expensive, and are totally amazing looking.
If there is anyone here with experience, 1st or 2nd hand, I would still love to hear it.

They are great. I am actually working on getting one. They turn into a very dull snake as they grow. BHB works with them.

They are great. I am actually working on getting one. They turn into a very dull snake as they grow. BHB works with them.
Nice! They are definitely spectacular as babies, but the adults are quite attractive as well. I love how solid the black is and how orange they can be as babies, but the golden brown color of the adults is amazing too.

Just so you know, adults do get pretty thick. I'll put it this way, they're not something I would want to work with alone.

Oh and David, what snake DOESN'T BHB work with? (Besides those odditites like Tentacled snakes, Elephant trunks, and various sea snakes?)

Yea BHB is pretty cool! Robbies is right they do get thick. i may get one when I get out of collage and settle down I guess. I may add some corns rats and kings to my collection but nothing big right now.

That's the joys of getting to go to the Daytona Expo. You get to see all kinds of fun stuff like that as adults so you know what to expect from a baby!

Nice! They are definitely spectacular as babies, but the adults are quite attractive as well. I love how solid the black is and how orange they can be as babies, but the golden brown color of the adults is amazing too.

They are quite nice. Thanks for asking about them, now I have another species to research! :)

Yes but they are very expensive

Not really. Bob Clark has them for $225. I've paid more than that for corns...

Just so you know, adults do get pretty thick. I'll put it this way, they're not something I would want to work with alone.
I didn't realize Ringed Pythons were dangerous to work with alone, definitely good to know, and that would certainly stop my interest, bummer. From the sound of the care sheets they seemed fairly manageable, and remained slender, but that might have just been as a sales pitch, thanks for the heads up. I obviously wouldn't have gotten one without finding this sort of stuff out, but I appreciate the info.

That's the joys of getting to go to the Daytona Expo. You get to see all kinds of fun stuff like that as adults so you know what to expect from a baby!
Lucky! I wish I could go, the only expo here is the New England Reptile Expo, it's nice but doesn't have the selection of some of the bigger shows.

I didn't realize Ringed Pythons were dangerous to work with alone, definitely good to know, and that would certainly stop my interest, bummer. From the sound of the care sheets they seemed fairly manageable, and remained slender, but that might have just been as a sales pitch, thanks for the heads up. I obviously wouldn't have gotten one without finding this sort of stuff out, but I appreciate the info.

Compared to the burms, they stay slender. But then again, so to retics. LOL.
I don't think they're necessarily dangerous to work with alone if you really know what you're doing. They're a pretty decent size snake and they can do what they want if they want to. They can also be pretty quick when they want to be, and can also get rather defensive. That's mostly why I would recommend having someone else when working with them.
I wouldn't really want to work with any thicker snake alone, even if it is docile. Heck, one of my boas is about the same size as the adult in this video (maybe a bit shorter, but about the same thickness), and I definitely wouldn't want to work with her alone.

I agree, $225 isn't bad for an uncommon species, especially compared to Woma Pythons, and Black Headed Pythons.

::sigh:: Woma....I want a pair of Womas...but those, I definitely couldn't afford for awhile. :(

Lucky! I wish I could go, the only expo here is the New England Reptile Expo, it's nice but doesn't have the selection of some of the bigger shows.

You should try to make it to Daytona, the more the merrier!

And I wouldn't let the fact that they are a two-person snake stop your interest. Couldn't your brother help you out when needed? Keep researching, maybe by the time you feel you are ready/knowledgeable enough and have saved up the cash, you'll have a plan for when you need help with him/her.

That adult was very pretty too bad they loose those bright bright oranges, but still very pretty and decent sized:)

You should try to make it to Daytona, the more the merrier!

And I wouldn't let the fact that they are a two-person snake stop your interest. Couldn't your brother help you out when needed? Keep researching, maybe by the time you feel you are ready/knowledgeable enough and have saved up the cash, you'll have a plan for when you need help with him/her.
If only I could afford go to Daytona, that would be awesome. Unfortunately I'm pretty tied down at home, and couldn't afford the travel expenses, food, stay, or anything at the show. Maybe someday though, that would be so great to go and meet some of you guys.
As for my brother helping me out with the Ringed Python, it wouldn't make much difference. Combined we probably don't have the strength of an average single person, so it wouldn't be worth the risk. Eventually maybe, if I have the adequate setup like a snake room, and feel more comfortable with larger snakes, and have reliable help.
I wasn't planning on getting one anyways, at least no time soon, but it's kind of a bummer to know that I probably never will. I just happened to come across an adult in the kingsnake classifieds, and thought they were interesting enough to further research them.
Thank you guys so much for the info, I'm glad I could post here and find this information out, it's probably not something I would've found in a care sheet.

Back