CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bad shed (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146847)

ServantOfCthulhu 09-05-2019 02:19 PM

Bad shed

Hey everyone, first time snake owner here. I've had my corn Narcissa for about a month and a half. She's shed once since I've had her and it was a complete shed besides the tip of her tail (which came off pretty easy with a damp paper towel). But this time she's shedding in tiny little pieces. It looks like when a person peels from a sunburn. I read a post on here about a shed box someone made. (Putting a towel with a little room temp water into a Rubbermaid container, and putting the snake in for 20 minutes). I did that earlier today but it didn't seem to help at all. Should I be doing it every day until she's done shedding? Or is there something else I can do to help? I have a moist hide in her tank, but she doesn't care for it at all. She's never gone in it. And since I noticed her trying to shed I've been misting her tank a couple times a day.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus 09-05-2019 02:24 PM

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I would also let her slither through a damp wash cloth while you hold her if she still has some stuck pieces.

SnakeCreations 09-05-2019 08:54 PM

You could also put some room temp, damp moss into a hide and leave it in the cage until your snake sheds. I remove after the shed and toss, to avoid any mold or bacterial growth.

enjoy!

-Tonya

ServantOfCthulhu 09-05-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeCreations (Post 1738851)
You could also put some room temp, damp moss into a hide and leave it in the cage until your snake sheds. I remove after the shed and toss, to avoid any mold or bacterial growth.

enjoy!

-Tonya

I have some in there right now already, but she doesn't seem to like it much. That's why I tried the shed box today, 'cause she hasn't gone near the moss at all.

buenavides1 09-06-2019 03:50 AM

Is it normal for a snake to shed from time to time?

Karl_Mcknight 09-06-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buenavides1 (Post 1738860)
Is it normal for a snake to shed from time to time?

Serious? LOL

Yes, all reptiles shed "From time to time"

ServantOfCthulhu 09-15-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServantOfCthulhu (Post 1738836)
Hey everyone, first time snake owner here. I've had my corn Narcissa for about a month and a half. She's shed once since I've had her and it was a complete shed besides the tip of her tail (which came off pretty easy with a damp paper towel). But this time she's shedding in tiny little pieces. It looks like when a person peels from a sunburn. I read a post on here about a shed box someone made. (Putting a towel with a little room temp water into a Rubbermaid container, and putting the snake in for 20 minutes). I did that earlier today but it didn't seem to help at all. Should I be doing it every day until she's done shedding? Or is there something else I can do to help? I have a moist hide in her tank, but she doesn't care for it at all. She's never gone in it. And since I noticed her trying to shed I've been misting her tank a couple times a day.

Just thought i'd update. Today I finally got all of the shed skin off. Took daily 20 min shed box soaking followed by having her go through a damp rag for a few minutes. I have no idea why it took so long. But my little one should feel much better now. Does anyone have any advice on preventing something like this in the future?