CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First breeding pair. What else to get? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146183)

Gemm 08-20-2018 10:17 AM

First breeding pair. What else to get?

Hi! I have acquired a breeding pair of corn snakes, one is normal in colour (male) and I was told the other is a ghost (female).

I was planning to breed corns about 10 years ago but never properly got started, so I know a little bit about the morphs and genetics but find it all very confusing.

I know this pair have bred before and produced normals and some anerys. Does this tell me anything about their hets?

What other morph could I get to produce some interesting babies?

Thank you!

Gemm 08-20-2018 10:19 AM

I was also told the male was bred with a bloodred female and some interesting morphs were produced but they didn't say what they were

Shiari 08-20-2018 11:46 AM

All you know for certain right now is that the male normal is het for anery, and probably not het for hypo. With the genes you know, the current morphs you can make without bringing in a dominant gene, are normals, hypos, aneries and ghosts, depending on the genes of the male you breed her to. These are all very common morphs.

Gemm 08-20-2018 12:04 PM

I got this pair for free and I suppose really they have just resparked my interest in breeding corns, so I would be interested in adding more snakes. What might I bring in to make things more interesting?

Shiari 08-20-2018 04:53 PM

Unless you get a dominant gene or you make hets to breed later, that's about it really.

Twolunger 08-20-2018 05:41 PM

You can see why it is important to find out the genes of the corn snakes you acquire. It would have been helpful if you knew what the male produced mated to the bloodred, and if the bloodred had other recessive genes in her background too. As of now I would not pair your corns unless you have a way to sell a clutch of normals. Personally, I'd go the dominant gene route, but as was suggested, you can raise hets to breed later when they mature, depending upon what you want to produce eventually. There are also some normal males for sale that are packed with recessive genes, if you want surprises at hatching time. Check out the vmsherp.com website and look at the normals he has listed to see what I mean.

Gemm 08-21-2018 10:25 AM

Tonight I'm getting a hypo lavender tessera het anery amel diffused.

If I breed him to my ghost, and then want to breed the offspring, can they be bred to each other or would I need to have another set of offspring from an identical pair?

Dragonling 08-21-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemm (Post 1734441)
Tonight I'm getting a hypo lavender tessera het anery amel diffused.

If I breed him to my ghost, and then want to breed the offspring, can they be bred to each other or would I need to have another set of offspring from an identical pair?

Many people have had success breeding sibling pairs together for a number of generations, but once you acquire visuals it might be better to start outcrossing to unrelated stock to lessen the chance of deletarious mutations compounding.

Pairing that male to your Ghost will result in Hypo, Hypo Tessera, Ghost, and Ghost Tessera offspring. All offspring will be 100% het Lavender and have a 50% chance of being het Amel and Diffused. There is a chance she might also match up with some other hets as well, as Amel and Diffused are quite common.

Gemm 08-21-2018 12:47 PM

I've used a morph calculator to work out the potential outcome from pairing up the offspring, and there's loads which has made me quite happy! I quite fancy a hypo moonstone tessera. I suppose the sky's the limit though if I bring in another female with good hets. I'm starting to get a better grasp of how it all works now. I'd like to try and find out what other hets this normal male might have but that sounds like quite an undertaking. I'm quite fond of him though because he keeps biting me and trying to eat my thumb. So we shall see.

I've bred guinea pigs but their colour genes are far less complex! Not to mention all this stuff about cooling periods. Guinea pigs just get on with it.