CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   not eating, tried everything, suggestions? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110327)

visceralrepulsion 03-31-2011 02:06 PM

oh, ok. yeah i was told if i found chicks id have to go pretty small with them. but i thought maybe there was more of variety like there is in mice haha. but that sounds good, ill look into a rat pinkie for him then. im sure i can get one frozen at a store. he was kinda into his broth soaked mouse last night. atleast more than ive seen in a long time. he nuzzled it like it was a lady friend a few times. which is more than i can say for the mice hes hissed at, "ran" from, etc. heh.

dawn brooks 04-01-2011 07:25 AM

i need help,my female amel cornsnake hasnt eaten in 6 weeks,not sure if she has a cold cause it sounds like shes sneezing.shes 3 and half and i bought her last november.any advise please reply.thanx

visceralrepulsion 04-01-2011 09:03 AM

what all have you tried to get her to eat?

visceralrepulsion 04-01-2011 09:04 AM

sorry by that i dont mean what have you tried to feed her, but what methods have you used when attempting to feed her?

visceralrepulsion 04-01-2011 09:06 AM

also she may have an upper respiratory infection, which snakes are prone to. how long has she been sneezing? a vet checkup may be in order...

dawn brooks 04-01-2011 09:49 AM

ive been told its not sneezing,my mistake its her hissing.im gonna try a pinky,waiting for it to defrost.does anyone know if its normal for her to go off food.

visceralrepulsion 04-01-2011 10:04 AM

well ive read some instances of females going off food when theyre ovulating during mating season. but its more common for males to stop eating during this mating timespan. are you sure you she might not be a he? did you try braining the mouse/leaving her in with the mouse overnight/etc? you can also try drenching your mouse with chicken broth or tuna water next time you try and feed it. it works for a lot of people.

dawn brooks 04-01-2011 05:39 PM

ok thanx ill try it as she didnt eat it and not quite sure if shes a she.how do u tell the difference?i was told it was to do with the tails,could anyone tell me if this is true and if females tails r different to mails please.thanx

visceralrepulsion 04-01-2011 06:12 PM

go ahead and try cutting the mouse some so that theres evident blood. and you can also try drenching it in the chicken broth for added enticement. its hard to tell an adult snakes gender based on its tail. as a general basis the tail after a male snakes rear-end hole is thicker than the a female snakes tail is after her rear-end. a really experienced snake owner/breeder might be able to tell what a snake more likely is based on its tail. but the best time to tell the gender of a snake when its very young, by a method called "popping". the way youd probably have to get your snakes gender confirmed is by having it probed by a vet. but even probings can be wrong sometimes. is your snake really active right now? like is it allover the tank a lot, trying to get out, etc?

dawn brooks 04-02-2011 10:50 AM

yeah its all over tank,we have a carolina cornsnake aswell and im thinking might be a male as when out its active aswell.its poo:ed yellowy is this normal? thanx