CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New snake owner :) (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146904)

barett 10-08-2019 12:45 PM

New snake owner :)

So I got my first baby snake. I have a question...or two haha. The first day he was on the warm side (at 87 degrees). Yesterday and this morning he was in his tree on the cool side. Is that normal that they will be off the warm side for so long?

blacktip 10-08-2019 01:08 PM

It's perfectly normal. My snake usually only uses the warm hide right after he eats. They are very good at regulating their body temperatures and will stay wherever they are comfortable.

barett 10-08-2019 01:09 PM

That is what I figured. The cool side is pretty cool is why I am asking. In the 60s.

67temp 10-08-2019 02:09 PM

Most of mine have ambient/cool side in the mid to high 70's even then alot of them spent a decent amount of time near their water where it's a few degrees cooler.

BCRRT 10-09-2019 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barett (Post 1739129)
So I got my first baby snake. I have a question...or two haha. The first day he was on the warm side (at 87 degrees). Yesterday and this morning he was in his tree on the cool side. Is that normal that they will be off the warm side for so long?

I am also a newbie and was wondering the same thing because my cornsnake seems to do the same thing. She seems to prefer the cool side. I even switched places with her hides thinking she might have liked the bigger one better but she still usually stays on the cool side. The warm hide shows around 85 degrees. Is it ok that she is fairly cool to the touch when I get her out and she has been in her cool hide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barett 10-10-2019 09:29 AM

So the little guy ate last night no problem. Took the pinkie from the tongs and swallowes it down. Now he is in this warm hide. How excited am I haha.

DeuceRon 10-16-2019 11:37 AM

As long as you have a warm side for him/her to go to, it’ll be fine. Mine doe the same thing.

barett 10-16-2019 11:49 AM

He is ok with temps. Now I have to figure out how to handle him. he is super strikey and that freaks me a little. Just the surprise of it all. I know it will not hurt. But it scared me the other day. I will try again tonight and breathe through it.

DeuceRon 10-22-2019 08:01 AM

I was the same way with mine. At first, I used one of those small snake hooks, so that I could get him in the air and easy to grab. Sometimes the grabbing of them with your hands will freak them out until they are used to you.
It only took a few times and then my snake was comfortable and the hook is now a dust collector.
Good luck!

Averysmom 10-23-2019 12:51 AM

Congrats on your new snake! I’ve only had my snake as an adult so I can’t say I know what it’s like to have a snake striking at you. I’m sure I’d be nervous as well. One thing that might help with the process is that you can condition the snake to expect to be held by rubbing it with a snake hook or in my case I just take an empty paper towel roll and touch him with it before I handle him so he knows handling time is coming. Lessens the chance of him thinking that you might be feeding him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk