CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Super Tessera (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129101)

Richard Hume 03-05-2013 10:22 PM

Super Tessera

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd post a few pictures of the only, I believe, super tessera to date. The story on this guy is that he was produced by Graham Criglow and subsequently acquired by Don Shores. Don bred it to a single female the first year and produced 16 out of 16 tesseras. In the second year he bred it to two females and produced 30 out of 30 tesseras.

If you look at the snake's side pattern it is much more "faded out" than a regular tessera. It is quite odd that there haven't been more of these popping up, although the tessera morph is still relatively new, and it's possible that people could actually have a super version and not even realize it.

This male was acquired by Vin Russo from Don this past summer. We have a number of females to breed to him this season - a fire stripe, striped blood, peppermint, ultramel, okeetee, and one or two more. He certainly will be quite busy in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking!
Rich Hume

LMS68 03-05-2013 10:43 PM

Gorgeous!!!

SMDminnesota 03-06-2013 12:10 AM

Awesome looking snake! I had read somewhere a long time ago that super tessera was thought to be lethal. Never really looked into it much after that but clearly that is not the case.

MindsEyeExotics 03-06-2013 03:35 AM

That's awesome. It makes sense that there is a super form. Just as I believe there is a super form of many co-dominant morphs, it's just not visual sometimes. I had (and also read about someone else who had) a spider ball python that looked visually the same but when bred to a normal all 3 times every egg was a spider, could be luck, but I think it wasn't. Good luck with your projects

fyrefocks 03-06-2013 05:19 AM

I'm working on producing my own "supers" right now. If you figure out any determining characteristics as to what is super and what isn't, I'd love to know.

Best of luck!

Tom Tuttle 03-06-2013 05:49 PM

Great looking addition Rich!

nmoore601 03-06-2013 05:56 PM

Was this was from the original tess x Tess breeding? I have some that will be tested from Tess x Tess breeding's. Is the super het?

mattsnake 03-06-2013 06:05 PM

great looking snake with awesome genetics.

chris68 03-06-2013 07:04 PM

Neat, kinda like the snake has the Midas Touch ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmoore601 (Post 1551046)
Was this was from the original tess x Tess breeding?

Tess X Tess = a "super" Tess is a good question, would have to think it was the case...?

Kaifyre 03-06-2013 11:37 PM

Erm .... Total noob question here, but .... What exactly is a "super" tessera? Also, what about the super tess gene was supposed to be lethal?
Thanks for helping!

-- Kaifyre