CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rich Z's Blatherings (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bacteria? Really? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146002)

Rich Z 05-29-2018 01:29 PM

Bacteria? Really?

OK, this has been puzzling me for quite a while now. Not sure why I even think of such things. Maybe it worries me on a deep level somehow.

So I read stuff here and there about "good" and "bad" bacteria in the gut. The claim is that the "good" bacteria" helps with digestion in that the bacteria breaks down the food in the good for digestion. Excuse me? What does "break down" actually mean? Well, if I had to take a wild guess, I would say "break down" means that the bacteria help themselves to the food in your guy by eating it. So that means the food gets "broken down", to what exactly? Yeah, that's right. Bacteria crap.

So let me get this straight. We eat our food, it goes into our gut, then the bacteria eat that food, and in return give up crap, which is what WE really are using for our digestion. Anyone else think there is something seriously wrong with this picture? Anyone else uncomfortable with the idea, with the above in mind, that WE are what we eat?

:hair_on_fire:

Yeah, sometimes I shouldn't think about such things. For instance, it is a REAL struggle for me to not think about what eggs actually are while I am eating them.

67temp 05-29-2018 05:36 PM

Well it's been a number of years since I've taken a zoology class but from what I recall is we don't process the bacteria's waste as a major nutrient. More like the bacteria help to penetrate and tenderize the food aiding in it getting broken down faster. Think of it kinda like running a mining operation. If you only had a hammer and chisel it would be a slow long process. If you have a drill to bore into the rock then use explosives you make progress a lot quicker. The bacteria are like the drill.

Food for thought (from my days of home distilling): Yeast eat sugar and their waste is what is distilled to produce alcoholic beverages. In the fermenting process if you have unsanitary conditions or purposely introduce bacteria. The bacteria eat the yeast. Their waste in then distilled. That creates one of the greatest natural liquid cleaning agents. That liquid is known as (distilled) vinegar. Which is commonly used in pickels, ketchup, on french fries, seafood, and many other types of food.

Rich Z 05-29-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp (Post 1733171)
Well it's been a number of years since I've taken a zoology class but from what I recall is we don't process the bacteria's waste as a major nutrient. More like the bacteria help to penetrate and tenderize the food aiding in it getting broken down faster. Think of it kinda like running a mining operation. If you only had a hammer and chisel it would be a slow long process. If you have a drill to bore into the rock then use explosives you make progress a lot quicker. The bacteria are like the drill.

Food for thought (from my days of home distilling): Yeast eat sugar and their waste is what is distilled to produce alcoholic beverages. In the fermenting process if you have unsanitary conditions or purposely introduce bacteria. The bacteria eat the yeast. Their waste in then distilled. That creates one of the greatest natural liquid cleaning agents. That liquid is known as (distilled) vinegar. Which is commonly used in pickels, ketchup, on french fries, seafood, and many other types of food.

Oh great....... I use vinegar when steaming up blue crabs and shrimp. There goes my appetite...... :-poke:

crackerhead 05-29-2018 06:16 PM

Beer....cheese....sauerkraut....pickles....rum.... aged beef....soy sauce....

Egg=byproduct of a chicken's "period"
fertilized egg=byproduct of a chicken "pregnancy" termination

Yum food!

Rich Z 05-29-2018 07:04 PM

And to think that my mom used to yell at me when I didn't wash my hands before eating..........

67temp 05-29-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1733173)
Oh great....... I use vinegar when steaming up blue crabs and shrimp. There goes my appetite...... :-poke:

Bacteria is just like insanity.... it should be embraced and enjoyed! :laugh::toiletgra

Rich Z 05-29-2018 08:46 PM

I guess I'll just have to sprinkle a dash of Rid-X on my eggs during breakfast tomorrow. :laugh:

Sometimes I seriously think that insanity would be a welcoming blanket to insulate yourself from the real world. Kind of like slipping on a VR headset with earphones and tuning out everything else. Programmable insanity. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Twolunger 05-30-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1733177)
I guess I'll just have to sprinkle a dash of Rid-X on my eggs during breakfast tomorrow. :laugh:

Sometimes I seriously think that insanity would be a welcoming blanket to insulate yourself from the real world. Kind of like slipping on a VR headset with earphones and tuning out everything else. Programmable insanity. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You have too much time on your hands. Remember how busy you were when you had matings to plan, snakes to grow to maturity, eggs to watch in the incubator, questions to answer about hatchling availability, shows to attend, and trips to FedEx with boxes that hopefully went to the correct address with live contents? Power failures, incubator malfunctions, dwindling rodent supplies, incorrect snake sexing, females slugging out, and a snake dying suddenly, now that would keep me up at night.

I'm still wondering how the makers of Prevagen extracted something from jellyfish that is supposed to help with brain function in humans.

Rich Z 05-30-2018 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1733178)
You have too much time on your hands. Remember how busy you were when you had matings to plan, snakes to grow to maturity, eggs to watch in the incubator, questions to answer about hatchling availability, shows to attend, and trips to FedEx with boxes that hopefully went to the correct address with live contents? Power failures, incubator malfunctions, dwindling rodent supplies, incorrect snake sexing, females slugging out, and a snake dying suddenly, now that would keep me up at night.

Oh, I remember those days just fine. Matter of fact, I had a dream (nightmare?) of being at Expo yesterday night. Kind of the usual kind of dream I would always get around this time of year. The place is dark, floor is dirty, no people are coming in the doors, we didn't bring a bunch of stuff we NEED, every animal container is dirty and we forgot to bring replacement liners, none of the other vendors have even uncovered the stuff on their tables yet you know it is late in the day. There was a loud humming noise coming from somewhere, and I couldn't hear what Connie was trying to tell me, so she got mad at me and wondered off somewhere. It was probably something important, but I just found a couch against a wall somewhere and laid down there and started reading a newspaper that was nothing but comic strips. Then the lights started to slowly come on, and showed me how REALLY bad the show looked. The place was a ghost town.

I guess it's going to take a long time for the psychological damage to heal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1733178)
I'm still wondering how the makers of Prevagen extracted something from jellyfish that is supposed to help with brain function in humans.

Yeah, and who was the first one to actually try it? Someone, somewhere had to think, "Heck, let's see, my brain is feeling a little sluggish, so I think I'll eat this jellyfish to see if that helps...." :laugh:

Twolunger 05-30-2018 09:17 AM

Boy, do I remember those days. Getting up at the crack of dawn and loading the van. Driving to the shows, setting up, and looking around wondering if someone forgot to open the doors for the buyers. I was walking around at one show, just to check competitor prices, and a guy whispered to me not to buy anything until an hour before the show ends, as most vendors will give their best deals.