CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Snake trauma! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146981)

pumpkinhealer 11-19-2019 07:15 PM

Snake trauma!

I'm really worried about my cornsnake Pumpkin. She's your average red color from some farm breeder but my girlfriend and I have gotten very attached to her;our first snake.
I fed her today and she tried to squeeze through a crack between a door on a birdhouse and the house itself (birdhouse is in her tank). Picture a drawbridge for the door. I noticed she was struggling and thought she was trying to go under the house, so I picked it up but she wasn't under it SHE HAD TRIED TO GO IN THROUGH THE CRACK. The way I had picked up the house made the crack even tighter and turned her. It was squeezing her so tight that she couldn't get through with her food bulge. In a panic I ripped off the door and she crawled into a hut after probably scared out of her mind.
I didn't see any blood but the crack was very tight jn the first place and then I pinched her even more like getting your finger in a door jamb. I'm worried about internal injuries. Is there anything I can do?

pumpkinhealer 11-19-2019 07:32 PM

I checked and she still seems to be moving ok. And she seemed to react when I touched her tail. So I suspect spine is intact. But she just ate so I can't really pick her up to check more.
I also didn't notice that she regurgitated.
Is there anything I should do to check anything else? Is it possible the door could have perforated anything internal?
Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how. She's a cute girl :)

Rich Z 11-19-2019 08:45 PM

Snakes are pretty tough, but if you have any doubts, then take her to your local vet for a physical exam. Might make you feel better afterwards, too.

Snakes will get into the darnedest places, so it is best to try to idiot proof your caging as much as humanly possible. Pretend your snake is suicidal, and try to do anything and everything possible to keep it from reaching that presumed intended goal.

pumpkinhealer 11-19-2019 09:05 PM

She definitely has a knack for getting into dumb places! But this is the first that had me worried. Silly squamate.
That door is definitely detached now. And I removed shingles from the top of the house a few weeks ago because she ate the pebbles. Other than that she should be pretty safe.
But I'll check on her till I can actually hold her and if she seems off I definitely will look up a vet.
I have a feeling she's alright though. Just scared the crap out of me.
Thank you for the advice! Suicidal assumption seems like it might be the best way to go.
She honestly just kept trying to get through after it was obvious her bulge wasn't fitting.

MysticExotics 11-20-2019 12:45 PM

I agree with the above, the snake should be ok, but if you have any doubts, make an appointment with a vet to be sure.