CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Natural History/Field Observation (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How fast DO they grow? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74606)

DaBachelor 10-17-2008 09:40 PM

How fast DO they grow?

Im sure this is a question most people want to know however i shall ask. I recently obtained an amel corn snake and he is about 4 1/2 months old(i think). I got him from a petco store and the age was around that they said. Hes gotten noticably bigger since i frist got him and that was a month ago. So i just wanted to know, is there a certain size that should be acheived on a certain time frame or does it vary. Ball park estimates PLEASE!

Jadie.Glitch 10-17-2008 09:54 PM

This question would probably be best suited for the Basic Care section of this forum...

and to answer your question: I don't know, lol. Sorry... I'm sure they all grow at approximately the same rate but as I've only owned snakes for about a year I don't have enough experience to be able to answer...

Chip 10-17-2008 10:16 PM

They can go from 7-8 grams to 150+ in the first year. Some eat better and put on size faster than others. Some strains just get bigger and are beefier than others too. Your feeding almost 100% dictates the size, and at very least; rate of growth. But a healthy snake grows fast.

Kazarus 10-17-2008 11:52 PM

They grow to the size of their enclosure.

Hah! Just kidding, guys! *dodges rocks*

sarcare 10-18-2008 08:31 AM

I got my hatchlings almost two months ago, and at that point they were one month old and at about 8 and 9g. Today they are at 15g and 16g, having both shed twice for me. They are on double small pinks, and eat like champs. I think they need the food because they are full of such anxious energy and squirm like worms. I bought a snake at the beginning of June, who was about 4-5months old--he was 15g then. Now he is pushing 50g, and is on fuzzies.

RobbiesCornField 10-18-2008 08:38 AM

It really all depends on the snake. Each one is different, just like each person. I've got one '06 that will probably be ready to breed this coming year, but I've also got 2 more that won't be ready to breed until 2010. Every snake is different, so don't push 'em to do something they don't want to. Just take it nice and slow and at their own pace. at 4.5 months old, you should be feeding every 5-7 days. Any more than that, and it's what is known as "power feeding", and can be detrimental to your snakes health.
Good luck with your new critter!

Suzy 10-18-2008 01:09 PM

I agree with everyone else, but i'd like to add my input. I have an '07 Classic Motley that I purchased in June of this year. At that time, he was 12 grams and 16 inches. Now, a mere 4 months later, he's 54 grams and 26 inches. There were 2 reasons for this - First being the fact that he was actually getting normal meals and also being a growing snake, and second being because of the fact that he was on a maintainance diet. So, it's all really dependant on your snake's genetics and how you feed him/her. :)

lyfeoverdeath 10-30-2008 10:20 PM

a corn snake reaches sexual maturity around 2-3 yrs. they have a maximum size of about 3 1/2 feet to 5 at the absolute most.a one year old corn should be around 2 to 3feet with regualr "ample" feedings every week.the feeding definetly decides the growth rate of your corn.i don't power feed my corns like some breeders but i do try to get them to breeding size faster than they would in the wild. for example, i like to feed a 2 foot long corn of mine 2 fuzzie mice at one feeding and about 4-5 days later another two.my snakes never get fat at that rate. they only gain weight and get "cut" . by that i mean completly full bodied and muscular definition is absolutly apparent.this is a healthy approach to getting your snake at a good size in a "fair"(to the snake's health) amount of time. but if your corn is just a pet with no intentions but to look pretty on display. feeding once every 7 or 8 days is recommended for a natural growth rate.good luck with your corn!!

Weebonilass 10-30-2008 10:49 PM

I have one that I don't think will ever be big enough to breed...sigh.... he's almost a year old now and still only weighs in at 12grams... He doesn't normally turn down a meal, and even ate the last time he was in blue.... have no idea why he doesn't want to grow up, but he appears to have something against it.... sigh....

lyfeoverdeath 10-31-2008 06:32 PM

in reference to weebonilas . if your snake isn't growing at pace that you think is healthy or natural, then i would suggest an appetite stimulant of maybe even a simple trip to the vet for a more thurough examination or even a simple diagnosis.but i would probably check the cage temp. and make sure it's at a good enough themal range for your corn to digest at a "better" pace to promote more digestion and to raise your corn's metabolism ,or to actually try and suppliment vitamins into it's diet.you can buy suppliments for reptiles that you simply put in the water and let them ingest as they unsuspectantly drink. Also,there could be a possibility of a protien, calcium,or nutrtion deficiency.protien is a general weight gaining nutrient and calcium is for bone growth and muscular developement.so i think u shuld try to get the appetite stimulant at pet smart(where they always have it by the retile medicine and suppliment section).it shouldn't cost more than $8 and i will be more than enough especially if you have any future problem feeders.if you don't believe that the appetite situation is a problem area, then i might suggest the vitamin supplimentation and if all else fails then i think the vet should have the last word.but this whole process shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.if your corn is a year old i don't see it dying or getting worse by some small low-cost home remedies.if he was gonna make a turn for the worst he would have by now.also, what do you or him have to loose by adding some extra vitamin and minerals to his diet and boosting his ammunities for the time being.hope he does better. Please,repost if any progress is apparent. :)